New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 PM
Default New to the forum

Hi this is my second Saturn Vue. I had a 04 and now I have a 08 xe.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Old 04-27-2018, 08:26 AM

Welcome to the forum Two Vues? What a brave soul you are.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Default 2 vues

I loved my 04. I never had any problems. I just bought the 08 last week. And I already broke down. I guess my next car won't be a vue. Have and of you had a problem with them starting up and cutting off a few seconds later?

Old 04-27-2018, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Could be a security system issue (first thought into my head).

Is the security light on the dash flashing when you start the vehicle and when it is running for the few seconds it runs?

Old 04-28-2018, 07:46 AM

Could also be a faulty fuel pump. Does it start back and keep running? Next time it does this, IF it doesn't start right back up, shoot a little starting fluid in the intake and see if it runs. If so, they I'd SUSPECT a fuel delivery problem, but I'm NOT a mechanic.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:32 AM

Def- No it doesn't. I checked because I read that might be the problem.
The last couple of times I've had to leave it and come back. And it will start up. I made it home and as I pulled in my driveway it cut off when I stepped on the break. It started back up and I pulled all the way up. But I notice the doors wouldn't unlock with the bottom. I had to manually unlock them.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Now sounds like a BCM (body control module) issue. This module controls the operation of pretty much everything besides the engine.
You only mentioned before that that it starts then immediately stops.
If you can drive it and it stops when you hit the brake (sometimes) -- meaning a definite correlation -- and the power locks are not functioning properly at all times--both are under the control of the BCM.

There is the possibility your ignition switch/cylinder is on the fritz, meaning it intermittently loses electrical contact, the BCM can't verify that the security code is still correct (yes, it keeps checking while you drive (sigh)) and shuts down the engine.

But the correlation with braking -- is that consistent? Sounds dangerous.

I would check the BCM fuses and the power door lock fuses, as well as all of the fuses labeled IGN (ignition) before diving into further diagnosis.

The fact that it acts like security is triggered, but then operates normally when you come back later really makes me thing the security system is a part of this, even if the dash light is not coming on.
Guess where the security system is?
Integrated into the BCM..........................

Do you have any weird dash light behavior or strange gauge behavior when driving?
Is the service or service engine soon light on?
If so, any codes?

Sorry for the backwards order of this post -- should have started with the simple checks not ended with them.

You can try a Passlock security relearn procedure if it comes down to it----the security light on the dash may be burned out -- ESPECIALLY if the previous owner fought with the security system and it was blinking 18 hours a day.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:57 PM

I noticed that stuff after the post. It hasn't cut off in motion. All the dash lights work. I think. I have seen them when I cut the car on. I notice the break lights weren't working. There parking lights work, blinker and stop lights work. I will check the fuse box.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:00 PM

Oh I did notice when I started it the speedometer did mover up and down a couple of times.