Hello - Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Old 10-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Talking Hello

I inherited this 2005 Ion Sedan 2 a couple years ago when an aunt was no longer able to drive comfortably. Been doing some minor aesthetic upgrades to it, as well as installed a new stereo because the stock one was poo. I'll get some pics up of the changes I've made once I have a nice sunny day to get her washed and all shiny. Got some plans to build a custom projector headlight system, as well as in the middle of adding stock fog lamps. Overall, I can't complain much about this car, it has a tiny bit of hesitation when flooring the gas and I'll probably need to redo the suspension at some point... but for as old as she is, I only just broke 55k miles and continue to conservatively drive her to maintain that low mile status.

Just wanted to drop a quick hello and apologize ahead of time if I resurrect some donkey's old thread that nobody cares about anymore.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome, I have an L series with a 2.2 and a 5 speed so I might be able to help with engine problems.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:19 PM

Awesome, thank you! I would have loved to have picked the manual trans for mine too as I much prefer driving with a stick. There's just no comparison in acceleration control. I'll update my sig with accurate mileage and my location shortly as I'm just headed out to the store for a few things. Is there any disadvantage to swapping transmissions out at some point if I start heavily modifying this car?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

No disadvantage, just a lot of work with these newer cars. My car actually has a different subframe for the transmission shift linkage. I have had a few of these L series apart and it looks like everything will swap if you can find a complete parts car. I’m sure it will be the same for the Ion. Find a 05 Ion with a bad engine and take it apart.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:39 AM

Welcome to the forum. Andy IS indeed your go to guy for your car. Derf is very detail oriented too. I"m more like applesauce in a fan. Scattered!
Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome. Stick around.
19BoneStock88 is the Ion dude,
I'm an S car guy.
02 LW300 is an L master. The Ion shared engines in some cases with the Ions..
Andy is actually a master at all things auto--it becomes self-evident.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 AM

Thank you guys so much! I'm extremely happy to have found this forum, there are a lot of dead end resources out there. My mechanical and electrical expertise is limited, but I am competent in following instructions. My Chilton's guide is on the way from Amazon so hopefully a bunch of questions will be answered by that, especially which part #'s to get because I'd like to stay as close to factory as possible for now.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, a handful of us keep this place alive. Every Saturn repaired is one more Saturn kept on the road for at least a little while longer.
Can't believe I've been driving the same SC2 for 20 years. My back is starting to go so it may have to go too, but not before i get some performance tires back on it and do some crazy driving to get it out of my system.
Is it a 45k sportscar? No.
Is it fun as hell to drive for $14K 20 years ago and no car payment for 16 years that probably shouldn't have lasted this long? You bet your *** it is.

5 more years I am eligible for a "Historical" or "Classic" plate (PA)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Hahaha oh wow... classic plates on a Saturn xD ty, now I officially feel old.

My Chilton's manual came today!!!! I'm so hyped rn you don't even know. I can do all the things to my car that I've been wanting to, + more. Funnily, it doesn't show anything about replacing the bumper grille, so I guess I'm pulling the whole thing off. Also still have to do a visual inspection of the harnesses to see if the fog lights are already wired. I will be so happy with GM if they are, but if not, oh well... it'll be a good experience to learn how to put in a relay and switch properly. My only concern is that if I wire them into a dedicated switch, will turning off the engine also kill power to the lights, or will I have to figure out a special wiring solution to achieve this goal?

Fun times ahead!