New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

1995 Sl1 new owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:14 PM
Default 1995 Sl1 new owner

We've just purchased a 1995 SL1 with 53,300 miles on it. We've changed all the fluids, fixed the moon roof, cleaned it up, and now will start on making it fit us. First question:
The front seats are really small. Are there any fixes? The wings on the seat backs, hit us right in the shoulder blades and it's not very comfortable.
Thanks
Jim

Old 07-20-2019, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome and to answer your other post this is a different site.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:15 PM

And already, much more friendly. We can't even get the moderators 'over there' to respond.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

The other moderator Derf is the expert on everything S car related in the Saturn world. I think that I worked on one 20 years ago. I have an L series Saturn and shares nothing with the S series car other than brand name.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

The easiest way to make the seats more comfortable is to lose weight or narrow your shoulders.

The S car front seats were pretty much all the same. I don't believe a power driver seat was offered in 95. Actually I don't know if it was ever offered. it may seem uncomfortable because the car only has 55,000 miles of someone sitting in the seat. They're much more comfortable at 265 thousand miles. If you have wide shoulders this is not the vehicle for you.

As for the sunroof, flush the drains now before they clog. When they clog it rains in your car. Keep the drains open unless you enjoy mildew in your vehicle.

Also, the plastic parts of the sunroof track will break. They always do. I would suggest not using your sunroof very often. You'll likely never find a replacement part so either look at it and have someone make you replacements or accept the fact that once it breaks it will never work again.

Run 10w 30 not 5w 30 if you want to keep it from being an oil burner. Run 5w 30 in the winter if you have to. Otherwise at least 10 w 30. Depends on where you live.

Use only the stock NGK copper plugs and change them every 36,000 miles. 5000 miles on synthetic oil change interval. 87 octane. Never let the fuel fall below 1/4 tank to keep your fuel pump alive for a good long time. Front O2 sensors last about 100,000 miles. Rear should be good for a while.

That's the tid bit list for today. Welcome to The forum and the what's left of the Saturn family.

Last edited by derf; 07-20-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info. The sun roof didn't work anyway, so we cleaned out the drain lines, manually closed it and won't open it. Bled the brake lines, changed oil and filter, drained power steering fluid, flushed cooling system, replaced a/c compressor and recharged system. Will drain transmission fluid and replace filter next.
I like the way the car handles. Very responsive. I do have a rattle in the steering column and would like advice on how to get rid of it. What do you think about additives to keep the fuel system clean?
GM closed the wrong model down. But I suppose by the time they closed Saturn, the cars were far different than they were originally.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:34 AM

Having owned both the SC 1 and SC2 in the past, I didn't find the SOHC to use oil anywhere near as much as the DOHC. BUT, you still need to get into the habit of checking it weekly. As for the seats, I'm inclined to agree with derf. I'm only 5"11" and 190 pounds, so found the seats comfy in both. Back seats? Forget it unless you're under 5' tall and they STILL won't be comfortable. My L Series wagon was comfortable in all 4 positions, but totally different car. Anyway, keep up with the regular maintenance, like derf suggested and you should get years of excellent service and performance out of your car. I looked at your profile and it says you're born in 38. If that's right, how is getting in and out of the car for you? I'm 63(next month) but have back issues and getting in and out of the SC's was an exercise for me.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Having owned both the SC 1 and SC2 in the past, I didn't find the SOHC to use oil anywhere near as much as the DOHC. BUT, you still need to get into the habit of checking it weekly. As for the seats, I'm inclined to agree with derf. I'm only 5"11" and 190 pounds, so found the seats comfy in both. Back seats? Forget it unless you're under 5' tall and they STILL won't be comfortable. My L Series wagon was comfortable in all 4 positions, but totally different car. Anyway, keep up with the regular maintenance, like derf suggested and you should get years of excellent service and performance out of your car. I looked at your profile and it says you're born in 38. If that's right, how is getting in and out of the car for you? I'm 63(next month) but have back issues and getting in and out of the SC's was an exercise for me.
I'm 5' 10" and getting in and out is not too much of a problem. I would like to put 15" wheels on it and raise the ride height a little. Any suggestions there?

Old 07-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Somewhere on the site is a sticky w info about wheels and tire sizes. Poster is Rjion. Think it's in general tech section.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 PM

I found out the the bolt pattern is the same from 1995 to 2002. Will check junk yards next. Thanks
Jim

Quick Reply: 1995 Sl1 new owner