Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here...

custom intake on 95 sc1

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Default custom intake on 95 sc1

i am trying to customize a short ram intake for my 95 sc1. any suggestions on what to do with the mass air flow sensor (i think). If i leave it unplugged it throws a check engine. I plugged it in just to see if that was it and the light went away but i think my car started running lean and it backfired a little when i revved it. any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

do you mean the two wire sensor with a squeeze connector that was in the stock intake?
If so, that's the ATS (Air temp sensor) which the PCM uses to determine the intake air temp.

What code did you get when you left it unconnected?

Drill a hole and tap it for the sensor....

Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM

i built my own with spectre products ... i had mine just wedge in the filter...mpg varies too much so put it in am now getting a constant 34 mpg

Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM

i have no idea what code it was, how do you check? but now i have a new problem. put the stock intake back on until i had time to mess with it and now my car wont run without keeping the gas on. it ran fine for a minute then my RPM's dropped to 200 and everything got real dim, my alternator light came on then it died. it will stay running as long as keep the gas on but i can't let off. any ideas with that one?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

check for loose connections to sensors at the throttle body - like the iac (idle air control)

also check for loose connections at the battery cables and where the neg cable grounds to the frame

Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 PM

thanks man sorry about the double post i just wanted to get that subject out there. Amazingly the car just randomly started running. My moms boyfriend said i may have just messed up the computer last night when i was messing with the short ram and it may have just taken awhile to reset. i reset the computer and it wouldn't run but then after a few minutes of me keeping it running it started to run on its own. i took it for a drive and it was acting fine other than my rpms falling when i brake.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Random? I think not.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 PM

yeah your right about the random thing. i took it for a drive it was fine. i drove it home from my moms house and now its not. it's doing the same thing as before. it wont stay running but i did figure out that my air compressor is locking up and that wasn't helping but the compressor ran fine at higher rpms but at idle the clutch kept engaging and disengaging rapidly. i turned it off and seems how the end of summer is approaching i'm not worried about losing my a/c. i've talked to a couple of different friends and they think i could have a bad vacuum line but it got dark and i dont have a good enough shop light to keep searching for it.
As far as i can tell all my connections on my sensors are good but my roommate pointed out that one of my negatives attaching to the frame was corroded/rusty so i'm going to try to replace that when i get off work tomorrow assuming its not pouring down rain again like it was today

Old 08-05-2009, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

everything you describe is consistent with a poor electrical connection in the charging system (at battery or starter). The a/c clutch is kicking in and out b/c there is not sufficient voltage at the lower rpms to keep the A/C Clutch relay closed---so it is chattering open and closed, which means the A/C clutch is kicking in and out.

Other than sensor connections, terminal connections and vac lines, it is unlikely that anything else is awry. Make sure everything was put back the way it was when it was stock......

Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM

thanks i'll check all my connections