Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here...

cold air intake /gains or loss??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Default cold air intake /gains or loss??

so whats the skinny on the cold air intakes on these 1.9 liter engines?is it adding any torque you can really feel?or just adding noise?

i see alot of aftermarket cold air intakes on these engines but what i find funny is they arent getting cold air ,they are sucking air from the hot engine compartment .
more free flowing yes ,but advertising it as a cold air intake is just BS.its a free flowing hot air intake

Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

you are right on target-they are free flowing hot air intakes unless routed where the air is actually cold(er).

Not really worth it unless you address the entire system (intake through exhaust) anyway.....

Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM

i was watching some utube vids today and had to laugh at some of these mods ....
2 1/2 inch exhaust with cats removed and they swear they are getting improvements .
they just dont have a clue .

free flowing does not equal more power ,more sound yes,more power no .
you need a tuned exhaust with some backpressure to creat power and torque.
when will they learn?

thanks for your input.
i,ll leave it stock and enjoy what power and fuel economy i have now.its a good balance of the 2.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Yep a 1.9L with a 2 1/2 inch exhaust gains nothing and may loose some. Cold Air intake is worth the money and you'll gain a bit with a shortram and big bore throttle body. But not much....

Old 01-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

Too durn much chance of flooding when it rains here in Mississippi -- I'll stick with the original system

Old 01-23-2011, 10:04 PM

Short ram intake and big bore throttle body are good for a thenth and a half in the 1/4 mile on s-cars

meaning if your car ran about 16.150 you should be running about a 16.000 after the swap. Because the cold air intake requires more work and places the inlet close to the ground I'd not bother with it.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:31 AM

i have not bothered with it .and probably wont .

Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 PM

I just bought a 2002 SC2 with an ebay intake - see picture;

Note the RUSTY air cleaner.... the car came with all the OEM intake plumbing and filter bits. I'd like to stick a nice K&N filter on the ebay setup and keep it - but I don't really see much gain, aside a nice intake sound over the stock with the muffler delete and a cross drilled lower air box.

I would like to find an earlier style exhaust manifold without the silly cat.... and then the Air Pump crap could go bye bye....

Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 PM

and how would you pass emissions tests then??dont you have emissions testing in lansdale?

Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 PM

Tell you the truth I did a Short ram with Big bore throttle body and have headers with free flow cat 2" all the way through, makes a nice rumble, but doesent have a giant increase. Ive noticed better launch off the line with the automatic and that makes it unnecessarily louder (at lower rpms it sounds pretty good, break the 5500 rev mark and it is abit annoying) But that is about it....
And, Like they said, your sucking in hot air.
On a day off i did a little messing around since my UltraGauge monitors intake temp, with the AEM short ram (since they dont give you any shield) your intake temps are roughly 7-11 degrees warmer than stock intake.

Burns it looks like you have the ebay strut-bar too lol, earlier style manifolds wont fit that bolt pattern unfortunately, so youll either have to bore it out yourself or opt for the stainless header like I did that still utilizes the air pump.

My engine bay isnt as clean and pretty as yours though.

Attached Thumbnails cold air intake /gains or loss??-img_3343.jpg  

Last edited by Octavious; 08-15-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: cold air intake /gains or loss??