General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Default Window Problems

I generally dont drive with the A/C on, i just roll down the windows and I comfortable with that, and both were rolling down just fine. I stop at McDonalds for breakfast get back in the car and roll the windows down again, but this time the driver side is stuck up. I fiddle with the window switch a few times and about 5min later it rolls up and down just fine. Last night on my way home from school the driver side wouldnt roll down again, but this time it wasnt budging at all. Im thinking its either the motor or the switch because this morning i tried it again, but it works. I think when its cool outside it effects the window because when its warm it tends to work with no problems. Help please....your thoughts???

Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Banned

Loose contact in the switch wiring ??

Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 AM

Possibly.. Im gonna remove the door panel first and see if there is anything loose. If the wiring is the problem im gonna have to figure out how to fix it. I dont know much about wiring and electric stuff at all, im more mechanically inclined.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 PM

Just keep in mind that the door skin comes off first, not the interior panel. Just go to youtube and you'll find some videos on how to do it.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM

Ive removed the door panel before. Whoever owned the car before me broke the arm rest into 3 pieces that were holding on to barely anything. I took it off and fiberglassed the panel back together and it looks like new.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 PM

I'm guessing the previous owner didn't know how to get the door panel off, then!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 PM

These things are getting old, the motors only have a certain life span and my guess is that for the most part, they have pretty much reached it or are getting close enough to call it quits. I have had to replace my drivers side motor already and the passenger side is acting up. And on Saturns, broken door panels generally come from the fact that the exterior door skin is the access to the door innards. At least the early ones anyway, I don't know about the later badge engineered or corporate platform versions.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 PM

The way that the arm rest was broken look more like the previous owner broke it with their arm or something because it was broken only where the elbow would sit. There were no indications that the door panel had been removed before, no cracks, missing screws or loose parts. But yet again today i was driving it when its hot outside, the window works perfectly, but the minute the sun goes down and it cools off it doesnt wanna budge.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 PM

I was thinking though, if it was the motor giving out wouldnt it make a funny noise, slow down or give some kind of sign that its not working???

Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 AM

Sounds like you've got a connection problem. The weird part is that usually it's the other way around with thermal expansion. Heat usually separates the contact instead of coolness. But then, what the hell do I know?

Quick Reply: Window Problems