General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Water splashing behind dash sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 03:55 PM

Hi

I have a saturn sl2 2000 and recently I have heard what sounds like liquid (i.e water) splashing around behind dash (more on passenger side) recently yet no liquid has leaked into car. About a year ago I had the a leak around sun roof as the plastic drain hose on passenger side had become disconnected an so rain water was collecting inside the roof. I was able to reconnect and that fixed the problem but now when I turn a corner or stop quickly I can hear liquid again around firewall...any suggestions!

Thanks

Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 PM

It is just water flowing into the heater core. I have the same thing with my 97 sl2 for almost 2 years and havnt had any problems or even tried to figure out exactly why it is making the noise

Old 09-19-2008, 05:29 AM

Hi

Thanks for the response...by the way was your situation diagnosed by a mechanic?

Regards

Brian

Old 09-19-2008, 06:58 AM

nah didnt even bother.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:31 PM

did you have problems with your water pump...just curious if it is malfunctioning and allowing water to flow in wrong direction or something in order to make the splashing sound...i have a bit of a high pitch squeal while idling but mainly goes away when in gear and moving...something makes me think that years ago i had a water pump problem and it was a bit noisy prior to malfunctioning

Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 AM

i actually just had to replace the water pump, and it still makes the same noise. So id assume that it doesnt have to do with the water pump

Old 09-24-2008, 06:53 PM

did you replace the water pump yourself or have a mechanic do it...if you had a mechanic did you ask what the splashing sound was...I assume when you said you still had the sound after the replacement you meant splashing sound...by the way what was the symptom for having to replace the water pumP

Old 09-25-2008, 07:33 AM

yes i had a mechanic do it cuz i didnt feel like fidling with it myself. And yes i meant the splashing sound was still there. No, i didnt even think to ask them cuz honestly i barely ever even notice it anymore. People will get in my car and ask me what the noise is, then i realize its still there, haha. My water pump was leaking like crazy. My car started to overheat from loss of coolant so i pop the hood with the car running and just see coolant being sprayed up out of the engine bay from the accesory belt...i automatically assumed waterpump

Old 09-27-2008, 10:42 PM

Yes it is very common and not a problem at all dont give another thought.I''ve been working on Saturns for 16 years so you might say I''m qualified

Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 AM

So i don''t need to worry about the splashing sound...sounds like water is trapped in some compartment....I thought it might be a plugged drain hose

Quick Reply: Water splashing behind dash sound