General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Two issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned
Default Two issues

I attempted to replace my heater core yesterday but was unable to

1a) access the heater core from under the dash. I tried following the directions in the Haynes manual but as usual it appeared easier than it was. I couldn't get the heater duct and heater core cover out.
1b) I couldn't get the hoses disconected at the firewall. I tried for a while with no luck. Is there some trick I'm missing? They wouldnt budge... and yes I removed the clamps

2) My cigarette lighter shows that it is working if I use a test light and will even power a little novelty light but will not work with anything that requires a little more juice.
Any suggestions for any of my problems would be appreciated.

Last edited by steviedpeters; 12-12-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Assuming this is your 99 sl1:

1) Lighter --

Chances are whatever you are plugging in is not making sufficient contact. Remove the left kick panel of the front/center console. If your hands are small enough you should be able to wedge one up behind the corner of the center console to get to the back of the lighter assembly. it may be loose and pushing backwards when you are putting things into it (tighten the nut that holds it to the dash) or more likely the center contact that the devices need to contact has been pushed back from years of use and needs to be "adjusted" by slightly bending it back into position.

To adjust the center prong, remove from the car and DISCONNECT IT from the wiring harness to avoid shocking yourself or blowing fuses unnecessarily.

You can then adjust the center prong position and test it with no power by plugging in something and verifying it sufficiently contacts the center pin and does not short against the side.

Then reinstall....

2) Heater Core hoses:

Disconnecting hoses at the firewall: if there's enough slack, I'd just cut them off (horizontally, around their roundth) where they go over the connectors at the firewall. You can then cut the remaining stubs off the connectors by splitting them vertically (along the axis of the hose) and peeling them off. Then clean up the connectors to ensure a clean mating surface when you reattach. While you're at it give the heater hose a good inspection-- after 10 years you may need/want to replace them.

As for under the dash -- never had this joy personally......

Last edited by derf; 12-12-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

Heater is miraculously working itself out.I'm going to start seperate threads with more details to make it easier for people to search for thier specific issue. Moderators feel free to delete this thread

Last edited by steviedpeters; 12-16-2009 at 04:10 PM.