General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Trans Filter BLEW off

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Default Trans Filter BLEW off

Hi all,

I'm a noob here. Thought I would combine my intro and first question in the same thread. Before I begin, I swear I did a search for my question before posting. I am familiar with Forum etiquette, I cant find any threads on my topic. This worries me! Anyway...

I have a 2001 Saturn SL2, 4 cylinder, 4 speed auto transmission, about 120000 miles. The car is in very good condition, I've never had any trouble with it...until this morning.

This morning I started the car to leave for work, put it in reverse to back out of my garage, and I heard a little bang under the hood. The car did not move. I put it back in park and shut it off. I soon discovered trans fluid pouring out on to the garage floor. After opening the hood I discovered that the external, spin-on type trans fluid filter has blown off the threaded hollow post it mounts to and the transmission had pumped itself empty.

So I am writing this question hoping that one of the following can happen...

1. One of you guys was a dealership mechanic or trans shop mechanic who is familiar with the situation.

2. One of you guys is an SL2 owner or "shade tree" mechanic who had this happen to them.

My questions;

Have you ever heard of this happening before?

What is the fix for it? I see that the threaded filter mount appears to be replaceable. Can I get this item from the dealership?

I am a very good mechanic, If the threaded post is replaceable, I can do it.

Generally speaking, I am open to suggestions or comments of a constructive nature. Just looking for some answers.

Thanks in Advance

Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 AM

So I've been out in the garage looking at my car. I have another question.

Where does a person get dealer-sourced Saturn parts now that the dealers are gone?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned

Well, Im not as well-versed as some of the other long-time contributors here, but I have to tell you that I've never heard of something like this before on a Saturn.

As far as parts, check your local GM dealership nearest your now closed Saturn shop - it's likely they might have bought up the parts stock from the closed shop