General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Tranny mount Problem

Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Default Tranny mount Problem

So, I've been battling this problem with my saturn. It's the 91 Sl version. you know, the four door single overhead cam. anyways, the cv shafts were going bad on me, atleast that's that i thought. They were sliced it seemed like somehow at the boot. so I replaced them and also found that my tranny mount was broken on the drivers side. fixed it all up, but now every hundred miles or so the mount keeps breaking and the cv shaft keeps popping out cause there's too much play and allows the shaft to over extend. it's happened like four times now and i resorted to having a pro fix it. well it happened again after 200 miles now and all he says is that it;s how I drive that car that causes the mount to break and cv to pop out. slight problem with that thought. i thought the same thing, so i've been driving slower and more cautiously than any grandpa i know! yet it still happens. my thoughts are that there is something else other than the tranny mount that is broken and is allowing too much stress to be put on it. although I have no clue what that could possibly be! any hints or help from anybody would be most appreciated! It runs perfect other than this stupid problem with the cv axle. If i can't fix it i'm gonna have to scrap it. which is the last thing I want from my car that has 225k and gets 35 mpg! HELP Please!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

Check for failed top engine mount on driver's side.

Second possibility - when you got your CV joints done, did they rebuid your original units, or did they sell you after-market knock-offs?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM

I don't know about on the Saturns, but I do know on the Mopar fwd vehicles that you have to make sure the engine is centered or the axles will pop out or break. Maybe this is what you need to check on your car. Any of you Saturn gurus know for sure if this would help him?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 AM

I'll ask the same questions
Mounts ALL mounts in order?
Factory axles or aftermarket?

twobegenius or not to be twobegenius weed is the question hookah.

Last edited by sw2cam; 08-29-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Well the top mount has been replaced as well. but that's the only mounts that have been messed with as far as i know. Everything so far is an aftermarket factory replacement.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Banned

The reason I was asking about your CVs is because some of the after-market CV driveshaft units are not the proper length (too short)

Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 PM

aftermarket factory replacement

It's either factory or aftermarket, 90% of aftermarket parts for Saturns are worthless.

I do not buy hard parts for Saturns from AdvanceO'reillyCheckerZone

Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Banned

I had my original shafts totally rebuilt by the dealership. Cost approximately the same as the "after-market" ones, but at least I know they are the right length...

Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 AM

one problem with having my originals rebuilt. I had to give them to oreilys to get my core charge back. so... does that mean i have to pull a junkyard shaft and have the dealership rebuild it for me? is no other problem that could be causing the mount to break?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned

mmmmmm--mmmmm--mmmmmm

Gonna be a tough call there, how do you know the junkyard shaft you pullin ain't an after-market part already ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny mount Problem