General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

They're Baaaaaaaccccckkkkk

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Default They're Baaaaaaaccccckkkkk

Okay, this car is really pissing me off now. My son took it yesterday to go job hunting and when he got home, he told me the SES light was back on. I let it be and then this morning went out and ran the codes. I got 11, 22, 25, 72, 74 and 81. AGAIN. What I don't understand is that I can drive the car for about 5 minutes and then the SES lights up. I keep driving for about another 10 to 15 minutes and get to the facility where my mother is a resident and park it. I visit for an hour or so, come out and fire this sum beech up and take off. Drive it for 30 minutes or so and no SES. Any ideas on what the hell is it can be? Keep in mind that I have changed the trans fluid and filter, replaced the valve body and replaced the ECTS and connector. The connector is soldered in and shrink wrapped, not half-assed twisted the wires together and put electrical tape on it. I guess I'll just drive the damn thing the way it is and see what happens. I don't have the money to replace the TPS or IAT and don't really think it's either one of those as it idles and runs fine and there is no smoke coming out the tail pipe.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:52 PM

Sounds like wiring, maybe bad sensor plug connections? Try removing all the engine sensing plugs and put dielectric grease on the individual leads. Take care not to put too much, because that could short the sensors.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:03 AM

Going to the junk yard today and may see about pulling an entire engine harness if I can find one in good shape. After letting the car sit for 6 hours yesterday, I got in it and took about a ten mile drive last night and no SES. It's driving me crazier than I already am.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 PM

The tranny working?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 PM

Here's the hell of it, Joe. I forgot to go back and solder the new connector when I installed it Thursday. I just stripped the wires and twisted them together. I always cut them different lengths when I splice wires, so they were not touching one another. Yesterday, I realized that I needed to solder, heat shrink and tape the wires. I did that and took it to Nashville today. I drove 75-80mph on the interstate the whole way there and back and the car performed great. No SES, it upshifted and downshifted properly and gave me 33 mpg for the trip. It was chilly (43) when I left around 6:45 am and was raining on the way home and about 55 degrees. That car ran great on the way home too. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I'll take it. Maybe soldering the ECTS wires gave it a better connection. I don't know and don't really care, for it was fixed today and there may be another challenge tomorrow. I didn't find anything I wanted for the Saturn, but did get a wheel and tire for a buddy that's down on his luck and was borrowing my space saver spare just to get around. I also found a couple of much needed parts for my Grand Caravan, so will be busy tomorrow. Got to go help one of my brothers in the morning as his pos GMC truck crapped out on him and I can't convince him it may just be a fuse. Wish me luck because if I don't figure it out within 15 minutes, he's on his own and will have to get a tow truck.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

Good luck with the fuses on the POS truck...

I hafta admit though, soldered connections work one helluva lot better than twisted ones

Old 10-20-2013, 07:34 AM

Dang Mike, I was gonna hit you up for help on that truck if we don't get it going. Of my four brothers, this ones name is also Mike. If my brother, Joe needs help, I'll ask sw2cam. LOL Jim and Jerry will be SOL.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 AM

Ruby,
Generally when you get a lot of non-related errors it is due to a loss of voltage some where that has nothing to do with anything logical.
I didn't look carefully at the schematics I have because I am time short this AM and I forgot what year car you are messing with.
But look at the Ignition 1 fuse (10 amp) in the I/P junction block and see if you see loose or corrosion anywhere. And refresh my memory and I will look deeper. It is a 5 volt signal and I do not know where the 5 volts is coming from but probably generated in side the main computer module assembly some where. If so there may be a fuse that was not obvious on a quick look that becomes the source for that 5 volts too.
I looked in the 1974 manual because (1) I thought it was close to the year mine is and (2) well it's early in the morning, I can't think of another good reason.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM

I'll check the fuse box today, Unc. BTW, it's a 94 SC 2 DOHC as indicated in my signature. Anyone know if it could be a transmission temperature sensor? It's just weird that after the car gets up to temp and I shut it down for fifteen minutes or so and then start it and go again, that it's fine for the rest of the day.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
I'll check the fuse box today, Unc. BTW, it's a 94 SC 2 DOHC as indicated in my signature. Anyone know if it could be a transmission temperature sensor? It's just weird that after the car gets up to temp and I shut it down for fifteen minutes or so and then start it and go again, that it's fine for the rest of the day.
Ruby,
I am noticing as I get older that when I look at things there are beginning to happen more than I want to admidt that I see what I want to see rather than what is there. I did not look at your signature, or if I did I ignored it. I did though look up the error codes and they have nothing in common at least I think they do other than they are all low in that they expected to see a higher signal level.
I'll take some more time today and see if anything comes up. Such as some form of a common voltage source but I think they were all 5 volt signals. I have a whole list of roundtuit projects for the day.
Later
John.

Quick Reply: They're Baaaaaaaccccckkkkk