General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Sticky Throttle!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Default Sticky Throttle!

Hello Everyone...Wish I would have thought to see if there was a Forum for Saturn owners before this, but a recent situation (below) had me wondering where I might find a little help. Sure enough...there is a "Saturn Forum!"

I was really bummed out that I missed the opportunity to buy a 06-07 VUE (because of the body style), but happened to stop at a car dealer in September of 2009 and to my surprise sits this 07 VUE V6 (Storm Grey...my favorite auto color), 17" Machined Alloy, Chrome Trim, Fog Lights, Roof Rack, Leather, Heated Seats, Woodgrain Interior, XM Radio and (OH MY) 8,700 miles! Sold!

Check it out:

Name:  Picture002.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  180.3 KB

It runs great, but I have had a problem with something hanging up when I “tramp’ on the gas. The engine races, but I have been able to regain control by slapping the gas pedal with my foot. That is until the other night…

I had entered a freeway entrance ramp when I noticed a tractor-trailer moving quite slow, then realized there were a whole bunch of other vehicles following that were all bunched up on the back of the rig. I “tramped” on the gas to race ahead of the rig, but quickly realized that the pedal was stuck to the floor and the engine was racing out of control. I slapped the pedal a number of times, but this time it was not working. I was gaining way too much speed, so I dropped it into “Neutral,” turned the engine off, slapped the gas pedal a few more times, turned the key back on, but it was still racing like crazy.

I shifted back into drive as I was now loosing too much speed, pulled to the side of the road, shifted back into “Neutral,” turned the engine of and got it stopped. I opened the hood, but it was too dark to see much and the tiny flashlight I had was not much of a help. I was looking for mechanical linkage that may have been stuck, but could not see anything. Just to check, I turned the engine on and it was now running normally. I closed the hood and went on to work…

The problem is that this has happened four or five times now, but this is the first time I had a real difficult time getting it under control. I am concerned that next time may result in a bad situation.

First of all has anyone else experienced a problem like this...sure like to hear how it was fixed. Beyond that, other than talking to my Authorized Saturn Service Center locally, do you think I should contact GM? If so, who would I write to? Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated...

Last edited by Gonzo; 03-05-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

The first thing I would do, would be to contact the local GM dealership which will also service Saturns. Talk with the Service Manager, and see if there is a Service Bulletin out on your yr/model Saturn. Also, discuss with him the problem as a possible "safety issue" which might need to be reported back to GM. I know that my GM dealership tries to "bend over backwards" to keep my Saturns running in tip top shape. Let us know what happens, please ......

Old 03-05-2011, 04:30 PM

The first three or four times it happened I was able to pop it right off with a quick slap of the gas pedal, but this last time it really put me on edge!

It sure wouldn't hurt to check again, but when I bought it I took it in to the Saturn Dealership (they were still open then) we had done business with and they ran the VIN to see if there were any "open" issues. At the time there were none, but a second look is a good idea...

Thanx...