General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Soda Bottle Cap on Drive Shaft under Yoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Banned
Default Soda Bottle Cap on Drive Shaft under Yoke

I am replacing the carrier bearing on my 2004 Saturn Vue V6 AWD. I removed the hog ring with no problems but now need to remove what appears to be a soda cap on the end of the shaft. How is this cap removed so the shaft can be pushed through the yoke. No one seems to address this cap. The cap is metal and would not pry off with two screw drivers.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Soda Bottle Cap on Drive Shaft under Yoke-img_3791-copy.jpg   Soda Bottle Cap on Drive Shaft under Yoke-img_3792-copy.jpg  
Old 12-02-2016, 06:37 PM

From what I have found, you just drive/press it out.

http://www.justanswer.com/saturn/5cg...e-carrier.html

Last edited by tooter1; 12-02-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned

The shaft pulls out by pulling on the Yoke and pressing onto the shaft. Pushing on the bottle cap would not allow the yoke to come off the shaft, due to the cap's lip. Have you actually done this or are you surmising how it would be done?

Last edited by Doc Doug; 12-02-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Doug
The shaft pulls out by pulling on the Yoke and pressing onto the shaft. Pushing on the bottle cap would not allow the yoke to come off the shaft, due to the cap's lip. Have you actually done this or are you surmising how it would be done?
Why would it have a lock ring on it if you couldn't remove the shaft?

Did you click on the link?

Old 12-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Banned

please explain in greater detail.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Doug
please explain in greater detail.
Explain what in greater detail? How to click on a link that was posted showing the procedure?

Old 12-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Banned

Sorry - My smart phone failed to show the link. I am on a PC now and see your link. The information that you provided fails to show the bottle cap. (I already reviewed this exact instructions on my subscription to AllData.) I also went to the Chevy dealer and showed them the actual shaft and they were stumped. (That's scary.) I thought that you may have some actual hands-on experience in this repair.

The tool, which I have, pushes on the bottle cap and pulls up on the yoke. This would work perfectly BUT the bottle cap edge is larger than the shaft hole. I crawled the web and found only one other instance where someone posted a question regarding removing the cap. The responses were weak, at best, with links of manuals showing how the repair is done. The problem is, the books fail to show the cap or how it is removed.

Yes, this is the OEM original shaft? Maybe this was a protective cap, for shipping, that was supposed to be removed at the drive-shaft assembly plant?

It seems strange that no one has experience on this or other forums with this crazy cap. The cap is steel and will not budge when pried on with two large screw drivers. CRAZY. Rather than man-handle and beat the hell out of the cap and possibly ruin the splines under, I thought someone would have experience with this....

Old 12-03-2016, 07:33 AM

I've never seen anything like that in my 45 years of tinkering with cars. Since it has notches in it, maybe it screws on. Have you tried putting a pair of vise grips on it and turning it counter clockwise? IDK Maybe place a screwdriver or chisel in the notch and hit it with a hammer to see if it unscrews if you can't get vise grips or some type of pliers in there?

Old 12-03-2016, 08:21 AM

I'd start cleaning some of that rust off to see what comes to the surface.

To me it looks like the yoke has splines.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Banned

I tried to place a pair of vice grips on the cap, but considering the cone shape and limited area, the grips slide off and up. I tried the screw driver and hammer unscrew game with no luck there either. I might have to use heat too?

I am going to visit a reputable private non-chain transmission shop on Monday and see what they say.

I am Glad that I can run this thing in FWD, for the two weeks that this has taken so far....

I will update on Monday. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Last edited by Doc Doug; 12-03-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Soda Bottle Cap on Drive Shaft under Yoke