General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

SL2 Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Default SL2 Radio Questions

I am hoping this is a simple question and answer. I have a 1997 Saturn SL2, currently the radio in it is a AM FM Cass. I was thinking of switching it out to an AM FM CD. However all the radios I have been able to find thus far with the years listed are either AM FM or AM FM Cass.

So with that being said, I am wondering what years of radio will fit in a saturn SL 2?

Will only 97 or will say 96 thru 2000 or maybe ones that are even higher than 2000. And yes I am hoping it will be a factory radio.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by mrtweaver
I am hoping this is a simple question and answer. I have a 1997 Saturn SL2, currently the radio in it is a AM FM Cass. I was thinking of switching it out to an AM FM CD. However all the radios I have been able to find thus far with the years listed are either AM FM or AM FM Cass.

So with that being said, I am wondering what years of radio will fit in a saturn SL 2?

Will only 97 or will say 96 thru 2000 or maybe ones that are even higher than 2000. And yes I am hoping it will be a factory radio.
I would suggest looking at Crutchfield's website for all things car audio. (www.crutchfield.com)
Now I'm assuming your current radio looks like this: http://asteroid.divnull.com/images/xm/xm17.jpg

If so you may have to buy a custom trim to make it fit. When you remove the trim around the radio does it look like a single din?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM

I put a Sony am/fm/cd player in mine without any problems at all. All I needed was the correct plug and face plate kit, both of which I picked up at Walmart. Mine was a 95 SC1.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 PM

Simple question
Simple answer

91-94
95-99
00-02

Damn I'm simple

ZION: You should go to the new member area and introduce yourself to the gang.

Last edited by RjION; 04-19-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Banned

I have a 1997 Saturn SL2 also with the stock AM/FM radio and CD player. Here is a picture: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...0/DSC02390.JPG I have been thinking about replacing this OEM headunit for a double din unit for awhile now. I might be willing to sell it to you. Just a thought.

Last edited by XFACTOR 97; 04-19-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

there's a dude on ebay that refurbishes many brands of units including saturns. He replaces the backlight for the display and bulbs that light the buttons. He then drills a hole near the cd slot and wires up a jack for your iPod/mp3 player which is then controlled via the AUX button.

A bit pricey but if you want the front panel ipod connection in a stock head unit it is an option

Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 AM

Maybe the new member Zion can help you out. Contact him and see what he says if he doesn't respond to your post.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM

I'm sort of in the same position and begining to recognise that two things happened some where in the 90's. No longer are radio's designed by the manufacturer to fit the car, but designed to be a standardized physical design as to the hole and space it goes in and a facia plate of some kind or another fits around it to make it work in the car. I did not fully appreciate that had taken place in looking for a radio for a car that I am building. I realise that last time I bought a radio for a car, a similar model it was hard to find one that actually fit the car and it was pricey to boot in about 1999. Since then radio's to fit cars do not any longer exist. Ruby pretty much covered it with his answer. The radio's available today are standard accross the board (pretty much) as to what they fit, because the cars are now designed that way. FacePlate kits now serve to adapt them to what ever car is out there. The radio's are inexpensive as to what is available, technology has made them better for sure, faceplate kits look good (if they are made for your car and for the one I am building they are not so I have to modify the dashboard to get one to work) So unless you can find an OEM one the choices are now limited to putting a faceplate on to adapt a very good hi-tech generic radio. But they are now plug and play due to universal wiring and adapter kits.
I guess I have also had to learn to talk a new language as to >Systems< which is how they are referred to now. My nephew is very familiar with the current terminology and how the Sytems interface. He is helping select the parts I need to do what I want to do. The automotive radio stores look at me blankly and say they don't make what I want anymore and then say; NEXT!

Last edited by uncljohn; 04-20-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by XFACTOR 97
I have a 1997 Saturn SL2 also with the stock AM/FM radio and CD player. Here is a picture: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...0/DSC02390.JPG I have been thinking about replacing this OEM headunit for a double din unit for awhile now. I might be willing to sell it to you. Just a thought.
Thank you all for the posts. XFACTOR 97, does the CD player and such work properly? Also I noticed in the corner of the photo it says theft deterent, will that still work with my car, because my current unit does not have the indication on it. And if you were to sell it, what would you feel would be your asking price?

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Banned

Yes, everything on the stock AM/FM radio and CD player works perfectly. You asked about the Theft Deterrent System and I found this in my owner's manual: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-I...800/img110.jpg I went out to my 1997 Saturn SL2 and checked if the Theft Deterrent System had been activated...it has not been, nor will I activate it as I've read it can be a pain to undo if you forget the code. So if I sold the stock stereo to you, you would be able to hook it right up, follow the instructions in the manual, and activate the Theft Deterrent System for your own use (just make sure not to lose the code). I could let the AM/FM radio and CD player go for $200. I also have a 6 Disc CD Changer currently hooked up to it, which I could sell to you for another $50. Here is a picture of that: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-m...0/DSC02414.JPG

Last edited by XFACTOR 97; 04-22-2012 at 01:09 PM.