General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Sl1 2000 starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Default Sl1 2000 starting issue

So someone trying to help me hooked up my car for a jump bad, I left the lights on and killed it. The hooked + to - and - to +, after a sec and about 2 tries at turning it over, I smelled smoke stuck my head out, saw what happened flipped the wires and tried again with the correct flow.

I've checked the fuse box to only find the "CD batt." fuse to be blown, checked the coils and ignition module due to a lack of spark(both coils and IM came back fine), and the fuel pump is not making sounds or priming any more. an mechanic friend told me it was the ECM odds are.

Any advice, tips, or thoughts?
What else could the bad jump have harmed?

thanks, Hannibal

Old 05-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Everything

Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Banned

Electronics are toast ...

Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Is it even worth trying to fix? Only the one fuse blew.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 AM

The fuse blowing is only a symptom of the orignial problem. The battery was jumped incorrectly by hookin up backwards.
You also have had smoke. A symptom which indicates lots of stuff got overheated and burned out.
Fuses blow supposedly to prevent further failures of things. Unfortunatly electicity flows faster than snot and fuses can not blow fast enough.
As a forum question? Reality says major failurs of the multiple computors that run your car. One or more. Which ones and how many can't guess. You can start with the ECM, I don't know how to check it myself. I would have to look up the instructions in a service type manual. I have them, a good $25.00 investment.
Depending on the year to some extent, even things such as whether the dome light comes on might be controlled by a computor some where in the car. That raises the question of how many things do not work when you try to put the key into the ignition and turn it.
What is the status of the idiot lights on the dash board.
How many indications do you have of things either working or not working.
To be honest you have a decision to make. How much money do you have? How good are you at figuring out a massive electonic failure?
And how much of this are you willing to deal with.
I worked 3 weeks on my Dodge Van on an Electonic problem that frankly I could have solved eventually but really did not want to.
'Specially after some one was stupid enough to offer me what I was willing to take to sell the thing.
After a year they got it running and then blew it up.
Not my problem any longer.
Automotive electronics is difficult for the back yard mechanic to solve. It generally requires far more documentation to figure it out than is available, or you have to be very good or getting lucky has to work.