General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Should we replace motor or scrap our 02?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:03 PM

Hello,

We have a 2002 SL2 that has thrown a rod. We have a place we can take it where they will put in a rebuilt (used) motor for $1800. The car has 103,000 miles, it's paid for and we were looking forward to driving it for at least one more year before trading it in for new. What is the opinion of Saturn owners. Should we keep it and put in the refurbished motor, or should we trade it in for a new car. BTW, money is an issue. We will be better able to afford a new car once our debt is eliminated in about 9 months. $1800 we can pay off comfortably in this same time frame ($200/mo). But a new car will strap us for upwards of $600/mo with increased insurance. On the other hand we don't want to spend a foolish $1800 repairing what may become a money pit of a car. What are the experiences of any of you with this sort of thing? Any advise would be appreciated.

ThanksEdited by: sw2cam

Old 12-18-2007, 06:05 PM

Wanted to add that we put 4 brand new [GOOD] tires less than two months ago. We have maintained the car as well as our abilities allow: regular oil changes, routine maintenance, etc. It has a new water pump as well (less than a year old)

Thanks LauraEdited by: sw2cam

Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 PM

It's your car........I can't see what condition it's in. I think your the only one that knows what money you want to spend on your car.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:26 PM

PS: The next post with a tracker incerted will get the IP, e-mail, and user name blocked.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by sw2cam
PS: The next post with a tracker incerted will get the IP, e-mail, and user name blocked.
?
Did I do something wrong?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 PM

In fact I'll be looking into a dozen or so posts tonight to see what I'll be doing with the IP's, e-mail address's and so on. I'll also delete the post that has the incerted tracker. I'll not just edit the post to remove the tracker.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 12-19-2007, 07:14 AM

In fact I'll be looking into a dozen or so posts tonight to see what I'll be doing with the IP's, e-mail address's and so on. I'll also delete the post that has the incerted tracker. I'll not just edit the post to remove the tracker.
What is a tracker and did I (inadvertently) insert one in my post? I see you edited my posts -- my text seems untouched so ok. But I have no idea what is going on. Is there something wrong with my computer? What ever you think I am doing I am not doing with my knowledge or intent. I am just a Saturn owner (four Saturns to date) who is reaching out to other Saturn owners. I found this site on a web search. Searched the posts for similar questions to no avail. Thats when I made the post. Instead I am reprimanded for something I have no idea about. Not so friendly here. . .

Old 12-19-2007, 11:38 AM

"reprimanded"? Do you feel guilty about something. You have not been reprimanded. My advise is to read the forum just a little, and you may discover a few things.

Yes your text was untouched so ok....Sorry you feel it was unfriendly of me to remove a tracker from your posts. Edited by: sw2cam

Old 12-23-2007, 12:01 PM

"reprimanded"? Do you feel guilty about something. You have not been reprimanded. My advise is to read the forum just a little, and you may discover a few things. Yes your text was untouched so ok....Sorry you feel it was unfriendly of me to remove a tracker from your posts.
The same "tracker" text is being added to my posts as well. I'm not doing it. It happens no matter what computer I use. It sounds like a software problem with the forum rather than something the posters to the forum are doing. And to the original poster, just drop in a used engine. I get them locally for $130. Just check the local wrecking yards.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 12-27-2007, 08:01 PM

I let admin know whats going on, untill he fixes it I will edit or delete.

Quick Reply: Should we replace motor or scrap our 02?