General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Rusted Rotors?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Default Rusted Rotors?

Last Sunday, I noticed a metal-against-metal grinding sound coming from my wheels. It seems like it's coming from my front passenger wheel.

I took it to a local shop and was told that 3 out of 4 rotors are rusted and that's what is causing it. Funniest thing, though...after I had them looked at, in order to do which, they needed to take apart the brakes, they no longer make the sound.

I have 50k miles and the vehicle is an 08 Vue which is 34 months old.

Do you think I need to have the rotors replaced? I trust the mechanic I went to, but I wonder if I can squeeze a few more thousand out of them. Or do you think at this mileage, I'm going to need them replaced soon anyway, so might as well get them done now?

BTW, quote is $500 for all 4.

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Banned

The price is not out of line, but normally, rotors don't rust, cuz the pads sweep the rotor face each time you stop. The thickness of the pads would dictate whether or not you need to have brake work done. Might try a different shop ....

Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Lets start with one thing. The last time I paid $500.00 for brakes? Well, thinking about it, never and that includes a complete change over from mechanical brakes to hydraulics so that should tell you how old I am. Well I lied. I spent a bit over that much for stainless steel sleeved one year only destroyed Dunlop 4 piston rebuilt calipers for a set of one year only disc brakes. Before I discovered I could back fit some later ones at about a bit less then $100.00 in parts.
So having no idea what the definition you have for rusted brakes, the last time my rotors were rusted from sitting around with water on them. The first time I applied the brakes the rust was wiped clean. End of problem. It cost me nothing.
Sorry, before I ever replaced rotors I would have to have a very good reason for doing so and a car that is 3 years old with 50,000 miles on it that is not giving me a problem does not even start making the possible list of reasons. I probably have not bought more than 8 rotors in 50 years and less than that with drums and probably those were already used. Although the new ceramic brake pads are harsh on rotors causing more wear than I am used to thus requiring more rotor maintainence they also stop big heavy cars better. With no brake dust. So unless you are totally uncomfortable with not spending the money, personally I would say forget about it.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
Lets start with one thing. The last time I paid $500.00 for brakes? Well, thinking about it, never and that includes a complete change over from mechanical brakes to hydraulics so that should tell you how old I am. Well I lied. I spent a bit over that much for stainless steel sleeved one year only destroyed Dunlop 4 piston rebuilt calipers for a set of one year only disc brakes. Before I discovered I could back fit some later ones at about a bit less then $100.00 in parts.
So having no idea what the definition you have for rusted brakes, the last time my rotors were rusted from sitting around with water on them. The first time I applied the brakes the rust was wiped clean. End of problem. It cost me nothing.
Sorry, before I ever replaced rotors I would have to have a very good reason for doing so and a car that is 3 years old with 50,000 miles on it that is not giving me a problem does not even start making the possible list of reasons. I probably have not bought more than 8 rotors in 50 years and less than that with drums and probably those were already used. Although the new ceramic brake pads are harsh on rotors causing more wear than I am used to thus requiring more rotor maintainence they also stop big heavy cars better. With no brake dust. So unless you are totally uncomfortable with not spending the money, personally I would say forget about it.
My only worry is, why were they making that grinding sound? Why do they not make it now, after they looked at them?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 PM

You need to find a new place to have your car checked and worked on. Next, one does not need to take anything apart on disc brkes to check for wear, just need to pull the wheels off.

Last edited by sw2cam; 06-13-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Pretty much sw2cam is calling it! On a forum of the this nature it is difficult to answer your question. It could have been that something serious is going on or it could be that you live in an are where road salt induced rust is heavy and you do not drive your car very often. I do not know and it can only be a guess. But assuming that wear is not the problem and from what you are describing it might not be. Then it might be a heavy accumulation of rust. That can cause the grinding sound and not have anything serious wrong with it other than they need to be cleaned off. In general, a heavy application of the brake can be all that it takes to clean the rust off so it stops scrapeing what ever it is that scraped. I dunno. If wear is the problem a good mechanic can spot that quickly. It does not take more than removing the wheel and looking. I assuming that wear is not the problem. I could be wrong. It is your statement! Rust caused the noise. A mechanic said that all rotors need to be replaced thus the problem will be solved.
Personally I disagree with the diagnosis, the repair and the cost. But I am not looking at it. You need to take it some where and ask the brakes be checked if you are not able to actually do it yourself or do not want to.
Do not tell them what the problem is, they should be able to tell you. If you say you think you need $500.00 worth of repairs I am sure they will agree with you and add another $100.00 to it.
If you feel you need to spend the money they will find a way to let you know you do, at least based on what you have indicated at this point in time. So take it some where that has a recommendation or you feel are trustworthy and ask them to check your brakes and give you an estimate. AND SAY NOTHING MORE!
When I take my car in to get a $18.00 oil change and they tell me I need $300.00 worth of maintainence I ask why and then listen. If they tell me it is 5 cans of flush poured through to clean things I say no thanks. If they insist I leave. you are going to have to make a decision. I can not make it for you. My opinion is you are being had. But I am not there to listen and look.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:55 PM

Thanks guys. You have been a lot of help. I was referred to this guy by a coworker who has been going to him for years and says he's inexpensive and reliable and honest. I don't necessarily think he's trying to take me for a ride, but maybe didn't examine any other causes.

I live in Chicago and the car is parked outside all the time, but it's driven regularly (the most it went without moving was 7 days during our blizzard).

I'll try to get a picture of the rotor posted on here.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 PM

Any part of the rotor that does not come in contact with the pads will have rust on it. <----Thats a period.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:29 AM

Here are some pics of the front driver side:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1051060...eat=directlink

Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 AM

The surface of the rotors may need to be turned if within specs. Pads may need to be replaced. The rust you see on the areas not touched by the pad is normal.

Last edited by sw2cam; 06-14-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rusted Rotors?