General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Runs slow when hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 11:06 PM

Hi i need help. Please!

My name is Scott Stevens

i have a 1995 SC1 with a SC2 motor in it. When the engine is cold it runs great for about 3 minutes. once my engine starts getting warm I loose power. A lot a power. I have to floor it to accelerate and its a little jerky around 2000-3000 rpm. It seems like my engine is working really hard. What can I do to fix this? I need it to get me through the winter.

I put innew spark plugs and an ECTS. Did not help.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:09 PM

Oh one more thing. When I give it gas my rpm's jump for half a second and then it flattens out. My rpms don't go up.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Administrator

is the catalytic convertor original? perhaps have that checked

Old 09-24-2005, 12:32 AM

don't go after abused cat converters, the above post may have a point. try to check new </span>catalytic converters, that should do the trick.</span>

Old 09-24-2005, 09:23 AM

You might want to pull the EGR for inspection. It could be clogged with oil and carbon

Old 09-24-2005, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info I will get the cat converter checked. After unbolting the EGR where do I look for the oil and carbon?

Old 09-24-2005, 10:51 PM

Look at the bottom of the EGR where it bolts to the block, There are air bypass ports that aregoing to be full of crud. Scrape out the carbon and check the valve seat by putting a lip lock on it and blowing into the port. Manually open and close the valve to check if your getting a good seal. If your EGR is fouled up, you may also want to clean out the air mass meter (throttle body)and intake manifold. Look on the manifold side of the throttle plate for oil and dust build up.Use a shop vac with a small hose attached to suck out all of oil sludge in the intake manifold. Finish cleaning manifold with solvents and rags. My 95 has 210k on it and it runs like a top.Edited by: stevestar99

Old 09-26-2005, 02:16 PM

It is not the catalytic converter. I looked at my EGR and it had some build up. I cleaned it off. The valve closes properly. As for the intake manifold it is bad. The throttle body is greasy. I am cleaning the sludge out now. Hopefully it works.

How did I get the sludge buildup in my intake?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:00 PM

I finished cleaning. It runs better. It ran great for a few minutes. Its still jerks when I accelerate and is a little slow.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

Old 09-26-2005, 04:57 PM

Did you clean the vacuum ports on the throttle body realgood ? Also the ECTS can effect performance, change it if you haven't. Check the sensor connectors for corrosion. All of the oil crud is coming from the vent hosethatis connectedfrom the head to the intake manifold.

Quick Reply: Runs slow when hot