General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

running one day, dead the next !

Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Exclamation running one day, dead the next !

Ok, I have a 2001 L series sedan with the 2.2. Just over three years ago I had to replace the fuel pump. About a week ago the car was running fine and was parked. The following day it would not start. It seemed as if it wanted to, but as soon as the starter was disengaged that was the end of it. I poured some fuel down the throttle body but that completely ended the firing. All the fuses have been checked and rechecked. I can hear the pump run when the ignition switch is first turned as expected. I have pulled the plugs(original) and the are almost .020 out of tolerance. So I have purchased new, although I dont believe this is the problem. I do not have a diagnostic tester so I am at the mercy of a chilton manual(not the best I have used). If anyone has some ideas or if this sounds familiar please contact me I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely Tim

Last edited by aireng1; 03-08-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 AM

You will most likely have to get the codes. There are several things it could be. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a bit and reconnecting to see if it will start? It would be better to get the codes first because that will clear them.

There is a code that will not allow the car to start. I do not remember what it was but I had it happen to me when my camshaft sensor went out. For some reason when the camshaft sensor goes out it throws several odd codes. Not that I am saying that's the problem.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Default compression

yes scanner would be nice, I have spark, but I cannot preform an accurate compression test without the engine warm. With that said, I did do a cold compression and got 25 lbs across the board. That regardless seems extremely low. Whats your thoughts on that.

Thanks for responding Tim

Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by aireng1
yes scanner would be nice, I have spark, but I cannot preform an accurate compression test without the engine warm. With that said,

"I did do a cold compression and got 25 lbs across the board. That regardless seems extremely low. Whats your thoughts on that."

Thanks for responding Tim
Tell us, what are your thoughts on that?