General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Random misfire detected in my 2004 Ion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:42 PM

Thank you for the repsonses and help guys. I'm in Surprise so I know the locations you all are talking about. Unfortunately this is still sitting in my driveway. I spent every last penny on what I was hoping to be a reliable new to me car. I got the newest, nicest, with the lowest mileage used Saturn I could find so I didn't have to deal with problems. This sucks!

The car starts but it idles terribly rough. When I let off the clutch the engine REALLY shimmys and struggles, maybe just from the little extra stress. I won't drive it just in case, but start it every now and again hoping it works.

Honestly I was really leaning towards a Honda initially because of their reliability, longevity, and proven track record. I went with a Saturn instead. God I hope I don't regret my decision but it's not looking great.

I'll check out the leads provided and when I can get the money to have it towed there, back, and the fees then I'll see what comes of it.

Last edited by silverion3; 12-19-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:51 PM

U know some of us are just damned fool enough to help one another out when backed into a corner. Surprise is just close enough where doing that is not really identifiable as a problem. Specially when it comes to working on orphan cars and driving things we couldn't afford if we had to pay some one to do it.
Besides, there are some of us who are just biased against owning something like a Honda.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
U know some of us are just damned fool enough to help one another out when backed into a corner. Surprise is just close enough where doing that is not really identifiable as a problem. Specially when it comes to working on orphan cars and driving things we couldn't afford if we had to pay some one to do it.
Besides, there are some of us who are just biased against owning something like a Honda.
I'd hate to impose on anyone that is why I didn't ask, but asking on the web is a bit different. I was looking for a reliable good looking gas saving 4 cylinder car for my 70+ Mi. 5-6 days a week round trip daily drive to work when I bought the Saturn. My current truck gets around 11Mi. a gallon, you do the math on that! I wasn't set on a particular vehicle, but a car in reliability and longevity. The Honda's definitely have a better track record in that category but opted for a GM product and one that has more get up and go in HP's. I was happy with my decision until my new to me car broke down soon after I bought it

At that point as I stated... I bought a car to save gas not to pick sides or have pride in one vehilce over another (a ford vs. chevy kinda thing). When it broke down I was very unhappy with my decision and would have rather been driving a Honda saving gas instead of having a broke down Saturn in my driveway loosing money because I'm paying another $50.00+ a month extra in insurance with it on my policy now. Don't mean to offend anybody but it is what it is.... I understand some of ya having pride and being partial to Saturns, which is awesome! I own a Harley and I have to say they are probably the biggest pieces of crap for breaking down.... constantly, but yet still have pride.

With all of that being said I got my ION back up and running tonight!!! (great diagnosis DERF!!!) Shoulda tried that initially but didn't think anything that simple or less than a $100.00 could have made it take a crapper overnight....... literally. I am very happy and back to loving my Saturn again!!! I work with two guys that said they had different cars that acted the same. They were both driving theirs when they went to running poorly and engine started shaking unexpectedly. Both went to mechanics and it turned out it was one of their coils. I decided to give it a shot. Went to Checkers and bought an ignition module and a coil. I started off with the ignition module first. Switched for the new one and voila!!!! It started and ran perfect. Engine light was still on but went off after about an hour and 40 Mi. on the road. I figured it had to be something electrical because the car went from running perfectly to not all all overnight in about ten hours.

Alright for the record if your Saturn stops running or stops running well overnight or unexpectedly then it may be your ignition module or coil. Thanks for all of the responses. This seems to be a great forum and I am sure I'll have more questions.... but not too many questions about more problems................ I hope........

Last edited by silverion3; 01-17-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 AM

Glad to hear back! It's nice to know of successes rather than failures and what makes you think owning a Harley is any wierder than owning an Collector AMC car anyway.