General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Problems Starting

Old 10-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Default Problems Starting

Hey I was looking for some help with diagnosing a problem when starting my '95 SC2. Recently noticed that once in a while when starting the engine it would sound like there was a delay in the engine turning over before it starts. The engine starts once it's turned over every time. The other day the engine would not start, you can hear the loud click but it did not turn over the first few tries. I left it for 30 seconds then tried again and with that severe delay the engine barely turned over and started.

First thought was battery/alt, decided to pull the ground cable out the battery while running to see if it would kill the engine which it did and I hear that means the alternator is bad. Charged the battery for 14 hours last night, this morning car stated fine so figured I just needed a new alt but later today I had the same problems staring the car.

I'm thinking it could be the starter now too, I could really use some help diagnosing this issue as I don't have the time or money to start replacing things that I don't need to. Thanks for your time.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 AM

I had the same problem with my sl2. I went through about 4 alternators. I was looking underneath the car, and checked the postitve battery cable which led to the starter. The bolt that held it on was actually loose, so I tightened it and all was well. If you have already done this, then I don't know what to tell you lol. But it worked for me! Good luck.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Check both of your battery cables for clean and tight connections on both ends. You also need to look for signs of corrosion under the insulation. If that checks out, then take it to your local Autozone or Advance Auto and have them roll their ARBST machine outside and test the battery, starter and charging system for you. It's a free service and all you'll have to do is run the engine up to 2,500 rpm and hold it there for about a minute when they load test the charging system.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:59 AM

Yea it's gotta be some kind of faulty cable connection because sometimes it starts fine then like last night it will refuse to start for 10 minutes then suddenly start up usually after I am messing with the battery cables. I'll have a look at the starter cable today as well.