General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

odometer problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:59 AM

The odometer on my 92 SL2 intermetently stopped working. Now it has totally stopped working. The same goes for the trip odometer. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:16 AM

I want to say there is a cable that connects to the back. Perhaps its loose. Well, at least it will keep some miles off your car till you get it fixed.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by euroc
I want to say there is a cable that connects to the back. Perhaps its loose. Well, at least it will keep some miles off your car till you get it fixed.
Are you sure it is a cable because the speedometer works. I was thinking the odometer was electronically operated somehow. Thanks

Old 03-14-2006, 01:47 AM

I'm not certain. I've never taken one apart. But I saw this thing on the news about how people are changing their milage to sell the vehicle at a higher price, and it showed a guy with at power drill attaced to a cable that came out the back of his odometer.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:30 PM

Let me know what you find out...

Old 03-14-2006, 05:49 PM

the odometers are electronic, just change out the cluster

Old 03-14-2006, 07:30 PM

joe, isnt theira cable that controls the odometer?

Old 03-14-2006, 08:09 PM

joe, isnt their a cable that controls the odometer?
Thanks to all! Let me know any more possibilities.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:24 PM

I havent done too much work with GM products, but I know most older vehicles have a cable that controls the odom. Im guessing its one of those possiblities... either a cable or replace the cluster.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

I havent done too much work with GM products, but I know most older vehicles have a cable that controls the odom. Im guessing its one of those possiblities...
Euro,

If you haven't worked much on GM vehicles, why do you find it necessary to post your guesses and personal opinions on every active post and even some dating back to 2005?

Correct technical information and questions concerning your own vehicle are always welcome; guessing at stuff can mislead others and isn't particularly helpful.

And replying to every active thread with your personal opinion is actually quite annoying to sift through.

If you have a technical response that adds value to the forum, please post it -- otherwise, please cease tagging your opinions onto every thread on this site. It makes it impossible for the rest of us to track threads we've responded to (with relevant technical answers) b/c your post is always the most recent....

By the time I have posted this, I'm confident you will have passed ottjoe on the Top Ten list.....if you want everyone to see you as top poster, trust me -- no one cares.

Quality -- not quantity.

Peace out.

Derf

Quick Reply: odometer problem.