General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

OBD-II bluetooth reader

Old 07-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Default OBD-II bluetooth reader

Okay guys. I've been looking into purchasing a Bluetooth OBD-II reader to use in conjunction with my Android phone. I'm kind of looking for suggestions or feed back from anyone that's has one, or used one before. I'm okay with buying the cheap ones from Amazon. I'm really curious if the the OBD-II port will relay the wrench codes via the Bluetooth adapter. I know I will still need software that can read them, I'm just not sure which software to use yet. I've been looking at the Torque Pro app, but there's also an all in one bluetooth adapter and software kit from scantool.net.

Decisions Decisions

I'm still used to the OBD-I jumper trick and the code flashes via check eng. light.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:24 PM

I use OBD Fusion for my I phone, and a 19 dollar ebay special OBD-II wireless adapter. So far the only brand I can't communicate with is BMW. I will say, it works with Chrysler, Toyota, Saturn, GM, Ford, VW, and Nissan. I have heard great things about the Torque app, but it isn't offered for I phones.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

DTruck---

when you say it works with Ford, GM, etc, does that include support for all five of the obdII compliant protocols (SAE J1850 PWM, SAE J1850 VPW, ISO9141-2, ISO14230-4 (KWP2000), and ISO 15765-4/SAE J2480=CANbus)?

I did some reading about the software you can buy to interface with the different modules of the car. Vendor specific software is required to interface with ALL of the individual control units in the vehicle..

Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 PM

I just ordered one of the scantool devices that says it works with all those protocols. I'm still researching the torque pro app to see what if it can read the p1xxx codes and not just the generic p0xxx codes. I should have it by Saturday. Hopefully my weekend will not be to full and I can play with it on Sunday.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:58 PM

Yes, mine will communicate with all the protocols. I can't reprogram anything, but I can read trouble codes in plain English and clear them, as well as limited data logging. It is not bad for the 28 bucks I have in the setup.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

28 bucks?
Damn I know what I'm researching this weekend

What data can it capture (I know I can find out on the website....or can I?)

Old 07-16-2015, 09:30 AM

So, the application is what dictates the data parameters. The Torque Pro App might offer more than the OBD Fusion App. The wireless/Bluetooth adapter is just the bridge from the ecm to the selected app. My ODB Fusion app, will datalog any parameter that comes through the OBD II bus. Engine speed, MAF, MAP, Fuel trims, instantaneous fuel economy, fuel rate, ect.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed, the app will be the limitation as to what you can log.
I thought the $28 included the hardware only, but it is $28 for BOTH hardware + software.
AWESOME.

I lazily assumed these things were just wireless code READER gadgets and never gave them a thought. With data logging ability, $28 is a steal.

Last edited by derf; 07-16-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:45 PM

Right, I'm pretty certain that the adapter from ebay was 18 dollars, plus shipping, and the app was 3.99

Old 07-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like a steal.

Any support for OBD I data logging or at least real time data display?

My old neighbor in Jersey had an Actron Reader that was pre-programmed to allow you to specify year and make of your vehicle. Real time data display was included.

Actron also made an OBD II to OBD I adapter for checking codes on OBD I vehicles.
I assumed the year and make choice still applied and connected it to my OBD I 1995 SC2. The real time data seemed quite believable .

So I'm wondering--does the program you have support OBD I with an adapter?
Obviously, the communications protocol used for OBD I Saturns is one of the 5 OBD standard protocols, or the Actron would not have been able to communicate with the OBD I vehicle....

I'm sure I'm not the only one that will appreciate it

Thanks

Last edited by derf; 07-16-2016 at 12:59 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD-II bluetooth reader