General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

OBD CODE 0341 Camshaft Position Sensor

Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Default OBD CODE 0341 Camshaft Position Sensor

Hi--I keep getting this OBD code--sometimes frequently, sometimes not for several weeks at a time--just wondering what it means in terms of possible maintenance or possible imminent engine failure!

Any clues?

The full description from my OBD booklet is: camshaft position sensor A Bank 1 CKT Range/Performance

Is my camshaft going to shoot through my hood anytime soon?

'96 SC2 DOHC

thanks for any help!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

S cars do not have cam position sensors. The code is triggered as a result of how the ignition is controlled for these engines.

This code often sets when (listed in order you should check):
1) plugs or wires are marginal (highly likely)
2) coil pack(s) are marginal
3) Ignition control module is flaking
4) Other stuff we will address only if we have to.

Start with plugs and wires first -- don't throw money at coil packs and stuff until we rule out the easy stuff.

What kind of plugs are you using?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 AM

that's good news--I believe the plugs are ACs, probably a couple years old, and the wires I know are from 2005 and are your standard-fare Auto Zone crapola (surprised they lasted this long).

I'll replace them when the weather breaks.

THANKS!!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Banned
Default Spark Plug Comment

DCeyes ...

Make sure that when you replace the plugs in your Saturn, you DO NOT use platinum plugs

Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Exclamation same problem

i have a 98 sl2 and currently have the SES light on. I had auto zone check it today and that camshaft code came up for me too. However, i JUST replaced the plugs, they are Bosch Copper, i have new plug wires, new coil pack and new air filter. Is it possible it's the ignition control module? The other thing its saying is that my cat is plugged, and the EGR valve is stuck open. I really have no clue where to start. Any suggestions?? Thanx!

Krissy

Old 03-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

1) Use stock OEM plugs and OEM wires.
2) Please post all of the actual ODBII codes obtained from the scan so that we may help decipher how to proceed.
3) Did you replace one coil pack, both coil packs or the entire assembly (2 coil packs + ignition control module)?

I could go on guessing.....please post the actual Pxxx codes and we'll take it from there.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by derf
1) Use stock OEM plugs and OEM wires.
2) Please post all of the actual ODBII codes obtained from the scan so that we may help decipher how to proceed.
3) Did you replace one coil pack, both coil packs or the entire assembly (2 coil packs + ignition control module)?

I could go on guessing.....please post the actual Pxxx codes and we'll take it from there.
ok this isnt Kdrum its her friend. the wires are an easy fix ill either use bosch direct fits or oem. the bosch plus are fine not going to replace them as theres no need. unfortunatly autozone's printout is garbage and no code. however she had it hooked up recently before that and the only code stored was the cat-converter. ill have to hook it up this w/e to get the actual code.

also the car seems to want to stall when u give it just a tap on the gas pedal (car is a 5-spd!!!) ive cleaned and checked the throttle body and checked the linkage and cables for any binding....nothing. the TB sucks air in very well just hesitates, i thought about a vacuum leak but that wouldnt account for a cat-conv. code. im really starting to think theres a bad/cracked coil. they cause insane amounts of trouble on GM cars. sry4the long post.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

OK --- this isn't derf -- it's his alter ego....

1) You're not the first person to post issues regarding this code
2) You're not the first person to reject the advice given to you at your own request (thinking you know better)

Fact: S car ignition system troubleshooting is pretty easy and quick when you use the stock OEM parts the system was designed to use.

Please post the codes this weekend.....but only if you actually intend to follow the advice you're given --- otherwise, don't bother.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Angry

Ok first and foremost, is the sarcasm REALLY necessary?? That last post was from my friend, who was trying to help me. I'm a girl who knows NOTHING about cars, hence, me coming here. I don't need ppls bull, im just asking for advice please. I'm willing to take the advice IM given. I DO NOT know the codes. If i knew them i would gladly give them to you. My car had stock plugs in it PRIOR to my replacing them, and the codes still came up. The entire assembly was replaced- coils/ignition mod, etc. The wires are also stock. I'm not here to show anyone up simply bc I DON'T KNOW what half this crap means!! I'm just like any other poor sap lookin for some help, so please don't knock me. If you don't agree with something i said just TELL me- you don't need to make a big deal out've it. I mean 4real, does EVERY1 get treated like this???

Krissy

Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Cool

Krissy, --I'm not knocking you -- I'm knocking your friend's attitude of "no I don't need to do that" before we've even seen the codes combined with the lack of answers to questions needed to troubleshoot

I'm willing to help anyone who asks and is willing to follow the advice they're given. Feel free to search my posts on the forum if you have any doubts.

My car had stock plugs in it PRIOR to my replacing them, and the codes still came up. The entire assembly was replaced- coils/ignition mod, etc. The wires are also stock.
Thank you for the clarifications, as you just indicated
1) you had the code PRIOR to swapping in all the bosch stuff....
2) the complete coil assy has also been swapped --- with OEM or aftermarket?

However, your friend stated that only the cat code was coming up before the plugs & wires were swapped.

however she had it hooked up recently before that and the only code stored was the cat-converter.
So now I'm confused.....pls confirm which codes were indeed present before the bosch parts swaps and which codes are there now.....after the part swaps....makes a big difference as to which path we take to troubleshoot.

Will await codes this weekend.

Peace/Love/Understanding

Derf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD CODE 0341 Camshaft Position Sensor