General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

mods and preformance upgrades 95 sc1

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Default mods and preformance upgrades 95 sc1

i really want to upgrade the performance of my sc1 but were should i start ive heard of a duel over head cam would that be a good start or is that a really touchy procedure idk any helpful ideas would be a big help thanks

Old 03-03-2012, 10:36 PM

Just put it on the bottle.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 PM

A single cam ......... 50-75 shot if you have a good engine.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM

im assuming you mean a stage one nitrous kit or nos by saying bottle idk new to the whole tuner thing pluse the car needs some work before i go that far not bad parts but want all new parts on front end plus struts

Old 03-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Stage I , Stage VI

What ever ya wanna call it ............... 50-75 shot of NOS is about the only performance your going to get out of a single cam. Evan the twin cam has so few options that putting those on the bottle is the cheapest hp your going to get.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 AM

I can't argue with RjION's assement. Other than nitrous is mostly a momentary increase in power and is something I personally can not or have not ever been too excited about. Making power is expensive. Modifications are expensive and there is now and really never has been much for a Saturn. By in large many of the more popular power increase add on's are largly designed to deflate a wallet rather than increase much in the way of power.
At least as I look at it anyway.
Stirring up the pot as it some times is said, my 94 twin cam coupe which I like very much and have enjoyed owning could use in my opinion another 15 hp to make me generally happy with the way it runs.
For my money? The biggest bang for the buck is a cam shaft modification, it is also the most labor intensive of things I can think of and to date despite having build more than a few engines since I bought the car, I have not dedicated my self to the effort of finding some one who actually has reground cams for it, or though seriously about the time required to put them in. But on any 17 year old car, there are probably a lot of drive train parts that are tired and interior updates that could be applied.
Using an old school logic from back in the day. You can always apply the old addage of;
"If it won't go? Chrome it"
I think I will repaint mine again with a bit more bling, polish the wheels and have the front drivers seat re-upholstered.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:09 AM

What about the guys with the open-air filters, doesnt that boost hp any?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 AM

What about the guys with the open-air filters, doesnt that boost hp any?
===========================
I guess that depends on who you talk to.
There are some people here that claim a measurable increase in 1/4 mile performance as small as it is, it is also measurable. Others, myself included have never been able to see any performance advantage at all. But they look rather cool (an advantage and one I have spent money on if I like the looks) and make it sound as if it producing power.
I rather prefer the factory system which gives a Fresh Air input to the engine, rather than hanging an air filter under the hood where it gets engine heat rather than fresh air. I live in an area where rust is not a problem. Thus exhaust systems will last the life of the car. I migh try an aftermarket exhaust system if the one on the car was shot. But again exhaust systems are not cheap and my particular experiance putting aftermarket performance systems on a Street Driven car that also is a small engine. And 116 cu in in my book is pretty small, well designed stock systems have proven to be adequate as far as making measurable hp. I can not see the advantage of taking off an expensive exhaust system that is functional to replace it with another expensive exhaust system.
Please don't take me wrong. I have built enough engines in my life to be comfortable building one. But generally I have a budget to build with. My latest is my Avatar, an Early 90's Mercury Marine engine that will end up in a 1976 AMC Hornet Station wagon along with a 700R4 transmission. My budget on this one is limited and I have about $1500 all inclusive in this one at the moment and it is ready to install. I just do not see a practical available modification that can be made to an S series Saturn motor that would make hp be much more than it is.
At least worth the money spent.
There are and have been some really nice looking Saturns featured on these pages. If I was starting from scratch I would build a healthy motor. There is enough lattitude in basic design to support more motor. At least in my opinion anyway. The computor that runs the thing seems to run it well and there is no way to modify it. So other than Bling mods there is not a whole bunch available for it.
I have repainted mine once and screwed up the paint job so have to do it again and the interior is showing wear now. A lot of bits and pieces of plastic interior trim has been damaged. I can not get good replacement parts around here. The heat kills plastic. I still think that if you want a strong motor, go cam shaft routes if everything else is good. 'Specially if you have to build one. If not? I still think they provide the biggest bang for the buck. They have for me anyway. But also require the most work to deal with.
So I will repaint mine again and try to get the interior caught up and it will be good to go.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM

ok thanks for the info i wish there was more i could do to boost power ive looked up power chips but im in question bout them n if they really do anything at all

Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

NO chips for S cars are legit

ALL are SCAMS

Turbinator is also a SCAM

Quick Reply: mods and preformance upgrades 95 sc1