General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Interference engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Default Interference engine?

2007 Saturn Vue 2.2, started missing (changed plugs), kept missing (was told it was an electrical problem), engine died & won't start (it appears the timing chain is very loose).Is this an interference engine....new engine required?
Also a few days before the above issue started I had a front end accident (their fault) mashing the grill. Could this have caused the chain to loose tension? ie insurance claim possible?

Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 AM

I don't know if it's an interference engine or not, but since you had a front end accident, I'm guessing you've got a loose electrical connection somewhere. Possibly even a shorted wire grounding out somewhere. Start checking your wiring harnesses and see what you find. I'm no mechanic, but I've been tinkering with cars for over 40 years, so I'm going to say that the collision in no way could have caused your timing chain to lose tension.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Thanks Rubehayseed,

That was our next step until it died and we opened the valve cover to check compression and saw the timing chain was loose. Plus no compression in the cylinders. Thought maybe the "fender bender" and rough running could be connected.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Banned

I don't know about the fender bender aspect of your question, but your statement --> "no compression in the cylinders"<-- suggests a major problem with the engine. It may boil down to the question of "overhaul" or "replace"

Old 05-27-2013, 03:24 PM

If you have no compression in the engine, then either that timing chain is broken or all of your valves are open for some reason. As in the camshaft isn't working properly to open them. Pull that timing cover and check that chain. No compression at all on any cylinder? I've never heard of that and I've been tinkering with cars and small engines for over 40 years.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:07 PM

Why in the world would you open the valve (cam) cover to check engine compression. It that some sort of new way of doing it?

Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 PM

The only way to do a compression test is to remove the spark plugs. I agree with sw2cam about finding out if this is a new way to do one. You can do it the way I suggested, both wet and dry.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Default Misspoke on my part

sw2cam & Rubehayseed,

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I did the compression test before taking the value cover off. Yes the sparks plugs were removed and the compression test was done then. After it appeared there was no compression the cover was removed to reveal a very loose timing chain.

I suppose I should have posed the question differently! I am trying to find out if this Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec engine is an interference engine or a non interference engine. I am clearly not a mechanic and that is why I accessed this site. To try to find an answer from a technically knowledgeable Saturn owner.

I gather there is a chance to salvage the existing engine if it is a non interference engine.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Default 2007 2.2L Ecotec Engine is an Interference engine

Called the former Saturn dealer today and found the bad news!

Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 PM

The 2.2l is an interference engine. Apparently there was a recall on these. You may want to contact a GM dealer that still deals with Saturns and see if they'll honor this. This was for the 2001 model apparently, so I don't know if it applies to yours, but it's worth a shot. Otherwise, you're going to need a new head, most likely. Sorry it took so long to find this, but I've been out of town all day.

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

Report Date : November 15, 2007 at 10:26 AM
NHTSA Campaign ID number : 07V519000

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
SATURN / L SERIES 2001

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V519000 Mfr's Report Date : NOV 07, 2007
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 20514
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.2L 4-CYLINDER ENGINE, LINKS IN THE ENGINE'S TIMING CHAIN CAN SEPARATE.
Consequence:
IF A TIMING CHAIN LINK SEPARATES WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING, THE ENGINE WILL STALL AND WILL NOT RESTART INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE TIMING CHAIN FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SATURN AT 1-800-972-8876.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 06074. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153)

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 05-28-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Interference engine?