General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Injured Saturn '97 SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:17 AM

Women can fall in love with their small cars the way men fall in love with their classic cars.
end Quote
Yuh they can, that is why the 94 Saturn sits in the driveway and a 1980 (one of the last ones made) AMX (a rare base model) sits in the garage. The AMX a Chicago car had rust issues and I learned to weld in order to front clip it. The week it was finished it was driven to N.M. and placed 3rd in class in a Chrysler show.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Banned

Congrats on the trophy there, UnclJohn ..........

Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Red face Crusher time

Looks like I finally got her give up on her SC. I showed her that could get another '97 without a cracked door and fender, for less than the insurance is giving her for her car. The fact that her car would have a title stating that it had been totaled also made me reluctant to throw any more money into it.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Banned

...You could always part it out...

Old 05-13-2011, 02:19 AM

I am seeing some really nice and well kept sc cars showing up now in the beater markets simply because they are worth next to nothing as a used car and people are trading them in and getting something that has a dealer behind them now.
AS an example I drove my coupe to a Chevy dealer to get parts for the Chevy engine I am building. The sales manager made it a point to tell me I should trade it ----BECAUSE? They don't make them any more.
I guess that is as good a reason as any except?
I hate 4 door sedans.
And have no interest in a wanna be truck.
And the only coupe that they have is a camero or a corvette. Both nice, both out of my budget.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Years ago, I had a 95 Honda Civic Coupe that I was going to pass on to my son so he could do what he wants with it but one fateful night I got t-boned on a hit and run. I was able to drive the car home, but the rear axle and frame was bent. I could've bought it back from the insurance company as I just got though paying the car off, I just about cried, because at 110,000 miles, that Honda engine was just a baby. Anyhow, I let it go despite how painful that was as I wasn't interested in driving something with a salvage title.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:24 AM

I don't have a real problem with a salvage title on what ever I own. With few exceptions the word used can cover the condition of the car when I am done with it. Well used comes to mind and what ever title it has at the time I make it go away is probably worth more than the car. Although I have personaly front clipped a car, it was not to restore to operation a wrecked driver but part of a repair effort applied to a collectable car. A whole different animal. I also think the term salvage as applied to a title has different connotations in different states too. Arizona has I believe a SALVAGE and a SALVAGED title and one of those two is easier to change to a regular title. It has been a few years since I was familiar with the terms and not sure where I would look it up right now or even if I remember it correct. But when I took the side off of my year old Chrysler Van had it not been repairable I would not have bought it from the Insurance Company unless I had use for the parts. The body shop at the dealer did miracles with it. I was told if an air bag had actually gone off it would have totaled the car. I did however ask my son-in-law that if his 12 cylinder Ferrari was ever totaled if I could have first right of refusal to the by back. I knew right where the drive train would go.