General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Ignition Coils Keep Failing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Banned
Default Ignition Coils Keep Failing

Thanks in advance... new user here. My ignition coils have failed twice. They seem to fail when I take RPMs close to redline. I was getting the 'cam position sensor' error, and learned on this forum that it's usually an electrical issue. All wires and plugs are new. I replaced the coils (and ignition pack) and car ran great. Then, when I got close to redline again, they failed again. Could this be an ECM (PCM) issue? Or a solenoid failing? Thanks!

Old 09-29-2014, 02:04 PM

First off, what year, make, model, engine? What plugs did you put in?

Stop in the new member forum and introduce yourself.
Open the user cp top left and add first name, location, and car to your signature.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:34 PM

That would be good information to have.

Read
https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/post-gone-9659/

Remember

Old 09-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

In what respect do they "fail"? Misfiring at redline? Misfiring after being at redline? Total loss of spark and car stops running?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Banned

Sorry, It's a 99 SL2 (auto)

Old 09-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Banned

V Power NGK plugs. All plugs and wires were checked (and replaced). 99 SL2, auto.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
In what respect do they "fail"? Misfiring at redline? Misfiring after being at redline? Total loss of spark and car stops running?
After approaching redline, the car was sputtering, seemed to lose about 1/2 power and was struggling to stay idling. It seemed like two cylinders were down. I replaced all plugs and wires with no improvement. I replaced coils and coil pack, then car ran great for a while. Until redline was approached again. Now, it seems the new coils are cooked. Trying to figure out what could cause that.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 PM

I don't have a clue. Does this car have a rev limiter by any chance? That would explain the cutting out and missing at higher rpm's, but not the decline of the coils. This is beyond my comprehension as I don't know much about electricity.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Heat? Coil Packs are converting high current low voltage (incoming) to low current high voltage. Along with high current often comes heat. You may be drawing sufficient current at those rpms that the coils are actually overheating to the point of damage. Though you'd think the feed to the coils would be pretty constant. So maybe I dunno.

Yes there is a rev limiter and that explains the sputtering at redline.

Any SES light action after the coils fail? If you actually had cylinders misfiring they would show up as codes.

Gotta ask this -- what is the impetus for running at or near redline?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
Heat? Coil Packs are converting high current low voltage (incoming) to low current high voltage. Along with high current often comes heat. You may be drawing sufficient current at those rpms that the coils are actually overheating to the point of damage. Though you'd think the feed to the coils would be pretty constant. So maybe I dunno.

Yes there is a rev limiter and that explains the sputtering at redline.

Any SES light action after the coils fail? If you actually had cylinders misfiring they would show up as codes.

Gotta ask this -- what is the impetus for running at or near redline?
Derf.. we race it - on an 3/8th mile oval track. I have another Saturn same make (98 tho, not 99) - and haven't had this issue since we've been racing it, 2 years now. Thanks for all your help. If I just try to re-do all the grounds, and replace the ECM, is there a way to reprogram the ECM (to factory)?

Quick Reply: Ignition Coils Keep Failing