General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Idle Prob with New engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:25 PM

Just dropped a new engine in the 200 SC1 I just bought from my little stepbrother . It runs great but IDLES high , over 1000 rpm in park after warming up , cold is closer to 2000 rpm . No service lights are on or anything . Tried the PCM relearn and no good there .

What else could it be ? Thanks in advance

Old 12-20-2008, 09:47 PM

Clean the throttle body for a start, the inside more so then the outside. Edited by: sw2cam

Old 12-21-2008, 08:07 AM

Did all that before I installed it all . Going to run some Seafoam through it in the gas and Vac line to see if that will help . It works good on older cars .

Old 12-21-2008, 01:56 PM

<ul>[*]Check vavuum line that connects to the CCP solenoid.[*]Did you swap over the sensors from the original engine?[*]What year is the engine you swapped in?[*]What is the condition of the ECTS and its connector?[*]Its very common to damage the sensors on the side of the throttlebody when removing/reinstalling the engine. (Thats why I remove the throttle body)[/list]

Old 12-21-2008, 02:22 PM

All new sensors . I remove the whole intake on those cars when removing/installing engines , lot more room that way . Will check that vac line and connection .

Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2000SC1
I remove the whole intake on those cars when removing/installing engines , lot more room that way .
And a lot more work. The intake manifolds dont get in the way. The engine just drops right in.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:20 PM

Not sure what car you worked on but on this SC1 it was in the way , doesn''t just drop right in , plus it had the tranny on it also .

This is my first Saturn to work on , have worked on many other makes and countless engine changes and this is the worst one I have ever done . Not to mention how parts are to get around here . Autozone and places like that don''t have hardly anything for it here , have to go through the dealer .

Old 12-21-2008, 03:28 PM

Engine swaps in Saturns are extremely simple. I can have an engine out and sitting on the floor in under an hour. SOHCs (SC1, SL, SL1 and SW1) are a tiny bit easier than DOHC''s (SL2, SC2 and SW2''s) because SOHC''s have a narrower head.

Using an engine hoist with a load leveler, lift the engine/tranny up a few inches the begin to tilt the whole thing down at the tranny end. Keep lifting and tilting until its all at a 45 degree angle. Then up and out over the front of the car.

Plus you have to shop around. You can get just about anything at the autoparts store. But its not recommended in some cases.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:14 PM

It wasn''t a hard swap , just not the type I am used to . Autozone , O''Reily , advance auto parts , none of them carry hardly anything in stock can''t even get most parts they say . But I got the stuff cheaper through a friend anyways that gets dealer cost at Saturn Dealer where he works .

I checked the connections and vac line , all was good , tb is clean and moving free .

Not sure where to look next . If the TPS was bad it should throw a code .

Old 12-23-2008, 03:18 PM

Let it suck half a can of Seafoam through the vac lines to intake and it idles a little lower right at 1000 cold and round 850-900rpms warm in gear . Still alittle high when in park .

Quick Reply: Idle Prob with New engine