General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

I need help with my 1994 SL-2!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:05 PM

Hi.. Thank you in advance... I have a 1994 SL-2 model and I need help!!!!The car is a 5 speed.. (manual) WHile the car is not moving on neutral it will idle around 900 to 1000 RPM.. now,,,, if it starts to coast do to being on a hill or whatever, even if its on neutral,, once it passes 3 miles an Hr the RPM's jump up to 1500 to 1800!!! What the heck is that?? If Im in the highway doing 55 and I put the clutch in or just simply put it on neutral the RPM's will drop but only to 1500-1800 & it'll stay there untill I come to a complete stop!! I changed plugs & wires still nothing.. Can someone please help me out.Thank you in advance.. My email ad is joselovestoride@hotmail.com just in case

Old 01-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Service Engine Soon Light on?

Codes?

1) Clean throttle body
2) Change engine coolant temp sensor (two wire sensor, not the one wire temp sensor) and connector. Replace with brass-tipped replacement and OEM Saturn connector.

Start simple.

Keep us posted

Derf

Old 01-05-2007, 12:51 AM

yeah you're right!! the service engine soon light goes on and off once in a while! but it's been like that before this idleing issue. This weird idle thing started right when I started the car up when the new clutch was put in.. I know that has nothing to do with it.. (I guess) but it is right when it started. Its weird. Ive never heard of another person having this problem...

I did clean the throtle body.. nothing is sticking there.. I tried to adjust the idleing but that didnt help any.. cause it does idle fine when it's still on neutral..the idle goes up only when that car starts to roll..(in neutral orin gear, with the clutch in of course). Anyway as far as the codes.. I havent taken it anywhere for a diognostic but it looks like Im gonna have too. I dont know much about the car.. it's been so good to me Ive never done anything to it in a year in a half but the clutch and the normal oil changes..I dont have an OBD2 to get the codes. anyway any other suggestions & or comment I'll apreciate it. thanks in advance

Old 01-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Its a 94 so it is ODB I not ODB II.

You can get the codes by going to Autozone or similar and having then read the codes for free

-- or --

The codes can be read on an ODB I system (95 and earlier) by shorting Terminals A &amp; B of the ALDL</span>
(diag) connector -- turning key to on (not running)-- the SES light will then flash
code 12 (one blink, short pause, 2 blinks), a total of three times
(indicates diag system operational) then any stored codes in a similar
manner (with long pauses between codes). Code 12 is then flashed after
the stored codes to indicate all stored codes have been displayed.

Hope this helps.

Codes should help us get to the root of the issue(s)

Derf

Old 01-06-2007, 12:33 AM

Tell you what Im glad that this site exists..because I dont know where else to get advice like this and people with so much knowledge like yourself... Hey DERF.. thanks! Im gonna try this.. thanks again alot... I'll keep you posted.. I'm a see if autozone can hook me up if not then I'll try the other suggestion again thanks... anyother imput please feel free