General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

I need Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:54 PM

I have a 99 SL2. My key will NOT turn in my switch. It has occasionaly been stubborn, but now it is useless. The car setting on a parking lot now, and I need to know what to have done to it. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:46 PM

sounds like my key.... in my case the key wont turn in the trunk lock, because it's so damn worn. if your key appears to be worn, try a spare key. otherwise the ignition mechanism might be screwed, in which case you can buy a new one from a parts store. let us know how it works out

-S-Turn-

Old 02-27-2007, 11:53 PM

Well I did try a spare key, and it still wouldn't budge. I did park with my wheels turned, does this have anything to dowith this? I did not realize you were suppossed to park with Wheels straight, at least that's what someone told me earlier. I saw online where someone put WD 40 in the Key slot, would this be a wise move? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:34 AM

the wheels being turned to far might have caused the steering wheel to get locked... not sure 'bout the key lock being affected. I don't see how WD40 would hurt

-S-Turn-

Old 02-28-2007, 02:33 PM

WD 40 did not work. Every part store I call says they do not carry the part, and I was told I'd have to get it from Saturn. The Mechanic in town says he don't know how much it'll cost to get fixed, so I'm not even gonna let him look at it. My dad can do this, but he's tied up today and possibly tommorrow so it looks like I am stuck.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:45 AM

I called Saturn and they told me I can only get the parts from them, that I may only need the ignition switch, which will be $67, if I need the housing also that'll make it $115 and if I have to have the ignition switch coded it will cost $40 more. My dad can fix it for me, but that's a lot of $$$. Not to mention the nearest Saturn to me is about an hour or so away.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:16 AM

hmmm, sounds like ur between a rock and a hard place. guess i may have been wrong about getting the ign. switch from a parts store... that's what i've been able to do w/ non-Saturn cars.

On a lighter note; there's also the option of ghetto rigging it.[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img] if you'd like the feel of getting behind the wheel of a stock car just rip the damn ign. switch out and put in astarter buttonand power switch. [must be the redneck in me talking]

-S-Turn-

Old 03-01-2007, 07:08 PM

lol, redneck. but i have the problem sometimes, if i jiggle the steering wheel as i turn the key it tends to work with me when the problem happens. idk how much help that would be but it never hurts to try.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by saturn95sl2.
lol, redneck. but i have the problem sometimes, if i jiggle the steering wheel as i turn the key it tends to work with me when the problem happens. idk how much help that would be but it never hurts to try.
That happens because of the steering wheel lock. When the key is in the locked position it looks the steering wheel. If there is pressure on the wheel it will not go out of the locked position. In order to get it out you must relieve the pressure by turning the wheel one way or the other until it is not contacting the locking tab.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 PM

I got my parts from saturn for $123.00, that was the Lock Cylinder and having it coded, and my dad gets here to fix it but can't get the old one out because it is locked. He thinks he may can drill it out but that'll be another day. Anyone have any idea?

Quick Reply: I need Help ASAP