General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

I hope this helps someone, sometime

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Default I hope this helps someone, sometime

We went on a road trip over the holidays. We went from Denver South through Vegas, Lake Havasu, Yuma etc. Our 2007 Aura XR performed perfectly until we were about 500 mi. from home. A steady check engine light came on. The car ran perfectly all the time. Only thing I noticed was the remote start would not work.
any way, I had Advance Auto parts read the code."Fuel trim bank one". Come to find out, this can be many many things. The car only has 40k on it so I did not believe it was anything serious. One possible cause was a dirty air filter. Well, I'm embarrased to say that it was dirty. Some how I managed to miss changing it recently. I changed the air filter and about 2 miles later the check engine light went out and has stayed out. Also the remote start now works. Saved a bunch at the dealer I think!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Banned

Glad to hear the car's back working fine, and I hope you had a wonderful trip ...

Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM

Thank you! We did have a great trip. It wasn't as warm as we had hoped in Arizona but not bad. We came home to below zero temps. The Aura averaged about 26 mpg which isn't bad for the 3.6. May have been better had it had a clean air filter. My bad. We probably averaged 75 to 80 mph and in Utah 80 to 85 mph. We had a loaded car and I did not take it easy! We went just under 3000 miles and did not use any oil. The 3.6 seems to be a good motor.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 AM

I read your comment on the air filter and it brought back a memory. I had that happen on an Oldsmobile a number of years back. The air filter was in some obscure location and hard to get to and the out of sight out of mind approach to service prevailed. And it caused a check engine light to come on. It was an 87 and I had forgotten all but the fact it was miserable to change.
And as to Arizona being cold? Well? Not like Wisconsin, but a whole lot colder than I like and the reason I moved here. I have painting I can not do until it warms up some!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 AM

My check engine light has been on for about 2wks now and i never thought to check the filter. I took my SC2 to advanced auto and the diagnostic came back with 4 different codes and the guy was saying its probably a bad O2 sensor or something like that

Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
I read your comment on the air filter and it brought back a memory. I had that happen on an Oldsmobile a number of years back. The air filter was in some obscure location and hard to get to and the out of sight out of mind approach to service prevailed. And it caused a check engine light to come on. It was an 87 and I had forgotten all but the fact it was miserable to change.
And as to Arizona being cold? Well? Not like Wisconsin, but a whole lot colder than I like and the reason I moved here. I have painting I can not do until it warms up some!
It wasn't really "cold" when compared to Colorado but upper 50s and mid 60s was less than I had hoped for. Still enjoyed your beautiful state.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 PM

TaTaaa!
It warmed up enough to get the paint done today! Int the high 60's, just enough to get to the edge of the paint window. Now I can install a distributor. I love it when a plan comes together.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Pictures .............................