General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

HVAC fan will not run

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Default HVAC fan will not run

The heater/ac fan on my 2003 l200 quit working during a heat wave. A Chev dealer replaced the fan motor and a fan relay but the fan still doesn't work. Now they want to replace the PCM and a resister relay module ( I think they're just guessing at this point). The AC unit kicks on just fine but no fan action. Anyone have any suggestions on what I might look for? Thanks

Old 07-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

a proper diagnosis probably would have lead to checking the relay first, the resistor pack second, the motor winding continuity third, and leaving the pcm out of it until the other three things are checked.

Assuming the relay is now good, I'd look at the resistor pack

you may have gotten taken on the motor replacement--take it somewhere else -- they either don't know what they're doing or they know exactly what they are doing -- screwing you

I'd try to find the closest dealership that absorbed Saturn techs

Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 AM

I agree about getting screwed by the dealer. I realize now they apparently don't have any Saturn mechanics onboard. If I take the car to a repair shop again I'll find one that has certified Saturn techs.
Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 AM

It is not a requirement to have a Saturn Mechanic, it is however a requirement to have a mechanic that can read service information, follow directions, use tools and understand how to fix cars.
How well the dealer responds is a function of how much money they want to take from you while not fixing the car.
I took my saturn in to the dealer for an estimated $400.00 repair and the nice man with a tie and a clip board met me in the waiting room and explained in a calm and clear voice why I should spend close to $3500.00 making a $400.00 fix. When he was done I used an equally calm and clear voice just exactly what he could do with his explanation and told him that I expected to have fixed what I brought the car in for and at the price estimated.
It still cost me over $700.00 and took two trips to complete it.
And that was the friendly Saturn dealership before it closed.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Banned

I'm climbing onboard this a bit after the fact, but I notice nobody mentioned the HVAC fuse (15amp). Can I safely assume that it has been checked and verified to be good?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

well GOLLLLLY I missed that one

sorry

OA spews wisdom yet again
check fuse

Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the responses. The fuse was the first thing I checked. It was OK but I replaced it anyway. UJ makes a good point about qualified mechanics but I still feel more comfortable with someone familiar with Saturn systems. I recall a phone conversation with the Chev mechanic when he told me they would replace the relay which he thought was somewhere behind the dash??? I should have stopped them then.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM

I do my own work , that being said I don't replace a part 'till I am sure it is bad.
how esle do you know you have fixed it.
And neither should a dealer. If I did go to someone else, I would want the old parts and have them "prove" to me that what they changed really needed to be changed.

Sorry, "parts changers" just infuriate me.

Find another mechanic

Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 AM

I still feel more comfortable with someone familiar with Saturn systems. I recall a phone conversation with the Chev mechanic when he told me they would replace the relay which he thought was somewhere behind the dash??? I should have stopped them then.
=============================
My point, I tried to make anyway, is I feel more comfortable with one that can read.
Todays automobile is a far cry from the one that you could would on with minimum knowledge of how they were put together, the capability of recognising what you were looking at and fuses were in line with the wires and there were not more than a hand full of them.
As to where things are? That is what manuals are for. I do not know any one that is a competant mechanic that does not have have a book case full of the $20.00 some odd Mitchels or Chiltons or even factory manuals to tell them where things are located such as fuses and such. Some may even have a software program, a program that costs thousands of dollars and has up dates comming on a regular basis just for the purpose of locating where parts are and how they work.
I have done my own work for years and have a fair sized library in the garage covering cars I have owned for exactly that purpose. I also can tap into the internet (O yeah, that is where I am now);
==================
check out Autozone.com You will have to input your make model etc.. then go to > Repair Info > Vehicle Repair Guides > Electrical Engine > Chassis Electrical > Specification charts....
You'll have to register, but its free.
==================

This and many other options. If you are talking to Chevy Mechanic and get a responce like that, you are not talking to a mechanic, you are talking to a parts changer who can't read and probably worked on a Chevy or is getting paid by a Chevy dealer.

I have seen electrical diagrams where one of the computors that ran the thing were located behind the kick panal in the passenger side front door post.
Who the hell would look there?
U NEED A MANUAL AND THE CAPABILITY OF LOOKING INTO IT AND FIND WHERE THE FUSES ARE!!!!!!!!
Sure it helps to know where things are, even more so it helps to look it up.
Mitchels even makes a software package that is a profesional mechanic package that can be bought and paid for and a subscription to keep it current.
It would be nice to know for sure where a decent mechanic is. I own a 2007 Chrysler that has not been back to the dealer except for product specific parts replacement due to failure under warrentee and warrentee specific maintainence. That totals up to 2 transmission fluid flushes and a battery replacement.
And every time I am there, the dealer service recommends $300.00 worth of Chrysler fix it in a can system flushes that I am assured will make my $30,000 Chrysler run longer and more reliably than my first Chrysler car, a used 1947 Desoto bought off of a Lincoln lot for $19.00.
If I really though any of those flushes were worth a damn I would pay the $5.00 to $15.00 per can myself and do them.
And I don't, and Saturn familiar? They are out of business. The dealers are gone. The concept of familiar is bogus.
And parts location changes almost as fast as changing underwear.
You need to be able to read AND a manual to read it from.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 AM

So did you find the problem?

Quick Reply: HVAC fan will not run