General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Help with saturn trans shuddering.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Default Help with saturn trans shuddering.

Ok I have a 98 saturn sl2 with 169,000 miles on it. The engine runs strong and does not burn oil. I am having trans issues right now. I was on my way to school and when I got of the highway and drove about a mile the trans started to shudder and seemed to go in and out of gear. I was at 30 mph when this happened by the way.

Now I just did a trans fillter and fluide change about 1500 miles ago. Now this is my first Auto car that I have changed the fluid in. I am a newby with auto trans. I am good with manual tranmissions tho, but again I have not done a fluid change on those ether. I filled it up to the first mark where the crisscrose lines start. Yesterday I was thinking it was low and filled it up to the secound hole on the crisscross pattern on the dip stick.

I did this with the trans warm and engine running. Did I put to much fluid in when I was thinking it was low? It seems to do fine in first gear tho. It seems to shudder and shift in and out of gear tho like it can not make up its mind on what gear its going in. I am pretty sure this is why it is shuddering. The car will not accelerait very well when it is doing this tho off course. When I got to school I checked the fluid and it was the same as last night. The fluid did not seem to be leacking out. I was thinking the diff pin brook but I am unsure. The service engine light does flicker on and off when this problem is happening. But it does not stay on and only flickers when it is having the problem.

Any help or info would be great I know my way around these saturn sl2's very well.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Banned

Watch your tachometer when the shuddering occurs -- is the engine rpm jumping back and forth to match the "feel" of the transmission?

Old 04-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

suggest getting codes read at autozone or similar -- with particular attention to pending codes

Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 PM

im new to saturns but i had a cavalier that was sorta like that try putting in some stop slip fluid its made by lucas oil it may help and its like $5 usd a bottle

Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 PM

Ok i think the issue has been fixed. there must of been to much trans fluid as a few people said the trans was over heating due to exesses trans fluid. i drained a qourt out and it seems to be doing fine. i will have to take it for a 30 min drive to make sure. everything is fine though, wish me luck!

Last edited by davethesaturnguy; 05-02-2011 at 01:44 PM.