General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Help! 2000 Saturn V6 LS2/L300 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Default Help! 2000 Saturn V6 LS2/L300 won't start

'New to the forum. So hello! Ok here goes.

I started my car to warm it up the other day, while it was running it made a rubbing noise; was coming from inside the cover for the timing belt, then a few mins later it died, wouldn't start back up. I took it apart all the way down to where the belt was, expecting it to be broken but it wasn't. So I have not a clue what's wrong. Car turns over freely just won't start.

Any ideas?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Banned

Well, let's start with the basics --> fuel, fire and air. Check for spark and also fuel (still air around ... we all still breathing) If you got and OBDII tester, check for any codes stored in the computer, and post them here ...

Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM

Maybe he don't wanna talk about it ...

Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 PM

I do want to reply! haha.

I'm going to be buying this car from my friend, and I wanted to see if it could possibly mean the motor is shot. That's his description of what happened.

I'm buying it for 500 bucks and the car is in immaculate condition, just has a **** ton of miles (200k). I just don't want to buy a dud. I'm going over on friday to look at it. Can someone link me to the fuel test? I know there is a black tire pressure looking cap next to the fuel rail, do I just push down on it when the key is on the on position (while the fuel pump is running)? And also maybe a link to the spark test? I have an ohm meter.

Saturns are not my expertise of cars sadly. Any advice to make sure the engine isn't shot?

Last edited by azr3al; 01-11-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM

waiiiittt...... we all breath air?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 PM

Just because the timing belt isn't broken doesn't mean that's not the problem. It could have stripped several of the teeth off from it. Rotate the crankshaft pulley with the timing cover off and see if the belt turns. If not, it's stripped and needs replacing. I don't know if that engine is an interference type engine and whether or not you'll have to worry about valve and possible piston damage or not. Someone who works on them will have to enlighten you. But for five bills, if it's in that great a condition, it may still be worth the investment to fix it. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new car and financing it for five to seven years.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:37 AM

Thank yoo. I wil try that on Friday. Also I'll call a Saturn service department and talk to a mech about the valves. anything else I could check?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:07 AM

I'm with Ruby! Providing the symptom is described correctly then Ruby sounds really close. Life of timing belts can be expected to be something around 75,000 miles although they have been known to run longer. But not a whole bunch.
Which is why I have bought my last car with a timing belt to drive the camshaft or shafts.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM

Timing belt is in great shape, no sign of wear. It was replaced probably 20,000 miles ago. Here's a picture of the belt:

http://shopping.rollanet.org/image/835213/item.html

Its the 5th picture down.

Since the rubbing noise was inside the timing belt cover, and the belts aren't broken, I have no idea. I don't think that if the fuel supply failed, it would have made a rubbing noise first inside the timing belt cover, then sputter and die. I'll try spinning the drive pulley tomorrow when I go look at it.

And it is an interference engine. So if there was ANY slipping of the belt, the valves could be shafted.

Question: If the pulley turns freely and moves the belt, then what next? Test the fuel/spark?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Before pulling things apart always first TEST for

Fuel
Spark
Compression

Specs can be found online

Last edited by sw2cam; 01-12-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Help! 2000 Saturn V6 LS2/L300 won't start