General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Freeze Plug location ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Banned
Default Freeze Plug location ?

I've got an 02 SL1. Entire cooling system froze from 16 F, just got a new radiator as it had been leaking. Installed it, filled it and find water coming out from what appears to be the exhaust manifold. I can't find any information as to whether there's a free plug behind it or not. It is a cast iron block, but really need to know whether or not to disassemble everything or not. Thanks !

Old 02-06-2015, 10:14 PM

I don't know about a freeze plug but have not been into one of the engines. Maybe the intake manifold is cracked. I'd pull it and check it. You could also have a cracked head.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Significantly wrong mix of antifreeze it sounds like. It's in the past.
No freeze plugs in the s car engine blocks that I know of.

I think you meant intake manifold (nearest windshield), not exhaust manifold (nearest front of car), yes? as you are talking about a freeze plug behind it which would only make sense if you were referring to the intake manifold.

Intake manifold has coolant circulating through channels. Is yours plastic? These are known to be problematic and prone to cracking or leaking where the manifold meets the head.

Per Rube, also be a cracked head but I'd rule out the other possibilities first.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Banned
Default Freeze Plugs

You're correct, plastic intake is on the windshield side. I'm referring to cast iron exhaust manifold on the front side of the car. I used to teach AI (artificial intelligence) in the automotive industry at the onset of computerized cars. It's got a cast iron block, there's definitely a leak coming from behind the exhaust manifold. If no freeze plug exists there, it's not worth the time to examine, as that would mean a cracked block/head etc. And being that it's an $800 second hand car, it's simply not worth it. But thanks for your input.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

indeed cracked block or head likely. Wasn't trying to insult your intelligence with the intake/exhaust thing....we get members of varying levels of knowledge which keeps things refreshing.

Sorry about your loss. If you pick up another satty or want to hang around and chat saturns or off topic stuff you're quite welcome to do so

Old 04-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Default Head Gasket?

So where did you go from there? Sounds like it could’ve been your head gasket, I’m having a similiar experience, radiator busted, waited to long to replace it now my engine block is leaking, few people told me to find out if it had freeze plugs, which I don’t think it does so I’m pretty sure it’s the head gasket—I’ll be working on it Friday, I’ll let y’all know how it goes

👍
(I have a 2002 SL2)
Originally Posted by JeffW
You're correct, plastic intake is on the windshield side. I'm referring to cast iron exhaust manifold on the front side of the car. I used to teach AI (artificial intelligence) in the automotive industry at the onset of computerized cars. It's got a cast iron block, there's definitely a leak coming from behind the exhaust manifold. If no freeze plug exists there, it's not worth the time to examine, as that would mean a cracked block/head etc. And being that it's an $800 second hand car, it's simply not worth it. But thanks for your input.

Last edited by EZ_SL2; 05-01-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:35 AM

JeffW was banned for some reason, EZ_SL2. Don't ask me why because I have no clue.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
JeffW was banned for some reason, EZ_SL2. Don't ask me why because I have no clue.
Ah alright then, well I’ll let y’all know how it goes regardless, but before hand I’m open to any advice anyone may have ! Appreciate it

Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Check compression first. It will not by definition tell you where the leak is, but it may give you some insight based on the relative compression of the cylinders and the physical location of the ones with the lowest compression. If it is a head gasket.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:03 PM

I agree with derf about the compression test.

Quick Reply: Freeze Plug location ?