General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

flywheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Default flywheel noise

I put a light weight flywheel on my 99 sc2 and it makes a whining noise, just wondering of thats normal?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 AM

Probably not, but then again, it might be a function of that particular flywheel. Are you referring to a flywheel or an automatic transmission flex plate or torque converter?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 PM

its a fidenza flywheel not a flex plate

Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by BMarsh
its a fidenza flywheel not a flex plate
I would not expect a flywheel to cause a whinning noise. They are big items, balanced, a light flywheel still has a fair amount of mass to it and the clutch pressure plate is bolted to it.
Yet, the noise, ( I have not heard it so my interpretation of it could be wrong) could be caused by some kind of design causing a wind noise, a vibration due to imbalance problems, something slight out of line. As the input shaft for the transmission goes into the pilot bearing, some form of miss-alignment into the transmission. You did not describe the circumstances leaving one to conclude it doesi it all the time. From idle to max rpm. There are all kinds of bits and pieces involved with vibration etc. on a 4 cylinder engine that inherantly vibrates.
I guess I do not know what it is, but it is something I would not expect it to do.
I have had flex plates crack, still work and make noise on various engines.
Other than installing flywheels from one engine to another, never had one come apart or make noise.
I have had throw out bearings on certain engines be a constant source of problems and noise. Maybe that is what you are hearing.
If there is a web site dedicated to the use of fidenza flywheels I would try to find it and ask questions on it.
A noise like that is a symptom of something unusual, it should not be considered normal.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Hi there,

I work in the machine shop for an engine rebuilder and I actually do the resurfacing of flywheels. If you bought an aftermarket flywheel and installed it straight from the box I'd say from experience you have a 9 out of 10 chance that the thing isn't straight and isn't perfectly balanced .... unfortunately (as much as a job as changing a clutch is in a Saturn) you might have to pull everything out again and have it checked .... and I hope you installed a new clutch disc, throwout bearing and pressure plate while you were at it cause, as uncljohn says, there's more chance that it's the bearing whining than anything else.