General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Flooding??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 PM

I had something strange happen to me today and I'm hoping that someone can give me some insight. This afternoon while trying to leave work I backed up and then attempted to forward. Well, when trying to forward the car died. Upon trying to restart it the car acted as if it was flooded. It wasn't until I put the pedal to the floor(just like you would on a carburated car) and turned the key that it finally started again! My car is a 95 SL2 5 speed manual. I didn't think it was real common for a fuel injected car to get flooded. Is there something more major wrong that I need to fix that could cause flooding? Mass Aif Flow sensor maybe? I'm kind of at a loss. I've never flooded a fuel injected motor before.

Thanks for any insight you can give me!!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 PM

Its possible. As the car stalled it still had unburnt fuel in the cylinders. Putting the pedal to the floor and trying to start was actually the right thing to do. Pushing the pedal to the floor while starting turns off the injectors to clear a flood condition. I wouldnt worry too much about it unless it is a constant problem.

Also Saturns dont have a Mass Air Flow sensor.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Its possible. As the car stalled it still had unburnt fuel in the cylinders. Putting the pedal to the floor and trying to start was actually the right thing to do. Pushing the pedal to the floor while starting turns off the injectors to clear a flood condition. I wouldnt worry too much about it unless it is a constant problem.

Also Saturns dont have a Mass Air Flow sensor.
Well, I learned something new today then. I assumed that they did have a Mass Air Flow sensor. I've found that the flooding doesnt seem to be a common issue but my Saturn dying before it warms up seems to happen a lot. If I can get a couple miles down the road without it dying I'm usually ok but quite often in these 3 weeks I've had it it'll die on my when first backing up or trying to pull forward after backing out of the drive. It usually starts right back up(with the exception of my flooding incident) and I can proceed but I have to give it more gas while taking off(it's a 5-speed) or it wants to die again. I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow to get looked at. I'm hoping that it's throwing some codes or something to let us know it's a sensor or something. It's kinda strange that it only happens before the motor gets warmed up, though.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 AM

If your SES light isnt illuminated, it isnt throwing codes.

$20 says your ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) is bad.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:55 AM

You just won yourself $20!! I just a call from them and that's exactly what they said it was. It was saying that the temp was 180 while it was actually supposed to say 68. So it looks like I'm getting a new sensor

Old 01-10-2008, 01:40 PM

Apparently the EGR Valve was stuck open as well so there were multiple things causing my issue. With it stuck open, the computer was getting a wrong reading and causing it to run rich and therefore thinking it needed to use more gas than necessary.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 AM

I'm happy everything got figured out. Both problems are very common once you get a few years on these cars. I suggrst you look at some of the other more popular Saturn forums on the net to keep up with other minor issues that may come up in the future.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Well, those things didn't fix the problem completely so it's still in the shop They can't figure out what's causing and I'm not sure why it'd happen just when you first start the motor before it gets warmed up. I just hope I get it back soon!! It's rather frustrating.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:44 AM

SATURNS don't...........or Saturn S-Cars don't?

Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by sw2cam
SATURNS don't...........or Saturn S-Cars don't?
The ones being referred to in this thread.

Quick Reply: Flooding??