General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Faulty parts???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:54 AM

I took my 95 Saturn into AAMCO to get a Diagnostic on my high idling problem. They pulled codes from the computer and the codes that came up were: a voltage problem due to a bad battery, (the previous owner has already fixed that problem) IAC problem, Throttle position too low.

The problem:
I have already replaced my IAC, and my TPS. The technician cleared the codes, and not too long after, my Service Engine Soon light came on again. I took it back to have the codes pulled again, and the codes that came up were IAC problem (again) and possible vacuum leak. The technician said that the vacuum leak code is more than likely due to the IAC problem because he checked all my vacuum lines and vacuum pressure.

So, is it likely that I previously bought a bad IAC? or could this fast idle be caused by an electrical problem? I am unsure... I just wanted to get some advice before my dad invests his time in my little car again. We have been working on my car for months trying to figure it out I feel we are getting close.

Thank you!

-Larissa

Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 AM

High idle can be caused by a number of outside sources. Most of which can confuse the PCM into thinking the IAC is faulty.

Its very likely that the TPS or IAC werent bad in the first place.

What were the exact code numbers? You can pull the codes yourself using a simple paper clip.Edited by: Low Saturn

Old 01-15-2008, 02:35 PM

the first time the codes were:
code 35
code 52
code 22
the second time
code 35 and code 49

The TPS being low makes sense to me because when the problems with my car started out my car would die whenever I stopped. then once we fixed that about a week later my car started idling ridiculously high. We replaced th IAC and it seemed to do ok for a while. and then about a week or two later it decided to freak out out again.

We have also replaced the ECTS, plugs and wires and, the fuel filter system, I have also done a fuel treatment which seemed to make it terribly worse.

Thanks again!

-Larissa