General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

engine stumble- when lugging motor a bit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 04:15 PM

I have a 95 SC2 automatic with about 120K that runs fine with the original motor/trans.

Lately when taking it easily (like being in 4th at 40 mph going up a slight hill) the engine will occasionally cut out or stumble for a second. It will only do it when lugging the motor a bit atlow rpm. It's most pronounced if I press the gas to the point right before it would down shift. Runs great and smooth at all other times with plenty of power.

Any ideas? (No engine codes present)

thanks in advance.

-Dan

PS Sorry for the "cross post" in the SC group, I meant to post it here!

Old 12-09-2005, 02:55 AM

A few things come to mind- If the car has the old style back pressure type EGR valve this might be your problem. It should only be on cars up to 94 but yours could be an early model 95. If the EGR is not electric it's the old style and they have a nasty habbit of getting pushed open too much at light throttle causing a stumble.Ifit's the old style you can check it's operationbefore you replace it. Lightly rev the car till you feel it stumble then pull off the vac line to the Egr and see if the car smooths out. At light throttle there should be next tono EGR flow.If the EGR is ok plugs, wires or corroded coil packs would be the most likly cause of a stubble. A good spray with a misting bottlefull ofwater may get thearea to show a spark jump. If you pull the plugs and take the wires off the coils it's easy to see burn marks or corrosion.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:57 PM

I Have a 94 sl1 and it's doing the same as torqueaddict described. I cannot however get it to skip/stutter while in neutral revving the engine.and it also seems to be intermintent sometimes it runs perfect for a half hour then goes sour sometimes it's real bad then goes away then starts up again after a stop. i was wondering if it's a fuel filter problem i'm gonna change it and see. could it possibly be water in the gas???

Old 12-10-2005, 03:54 AM

I'v never seen a plugged filter on a saturn yet but there's always a first. If it's only happening at times and the filter dosn't fix it look at the plugs and wires or coils. I'v seen so many stumbles with no codes caused by bad igniton parts. Keep me posted

Old 12-12-2005, 12:17 AM

probably needs a tune up, also may need an ignition pack

Old 12-22-2005, 10:55 AM

OK i changed the fuel filter (which i could hardly blow through and was full of black sh*t) it ran great for about three days then back to the stumble it's getting worse now if i feather the gas i can get it to not do it but if i give it mid range gas it pops and stutters from the engine throttle bodyno backfire out the tailpipe though... It's getting pretty frustrating. I'm going to check the plugs next although they are only six months old .And maybe ill take the egr out and clean it or replace it.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:19 AM

Oh and another thing it doesn't pop or miss when i first start it, it takes about five minutes before it acts up????

Old 12-31-2005, 06:58 PM

check the coil pack

Old 12-31-2005, 11:12 PM

You might also want to cleanout your throttle body and intake manifold. There is a blow by hose from the cam cover to the intake manifold that can load up the TB and intake with oil crud.