Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Dash cluster and seat belts related? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/dash-cluster-seat-belts-related-638/)

undun 10-28-2006 04:10 PM

About a month ago, I had the service engine soon come on in my 1994 Saturn SL2. I found a mechanic who found the code to be I think 27? could have been 26. Anyway, he didn't like the code as it could mean several things. With the light that came on...I only noticed my seat belts weren't working along with the scarey light. I had the car worked on and he replaced the motor mount which the car did have a very bad vibration, and said the speedometer stopped working along with the odometer. He said he'd have to send the speedometer to someone to see if they could fix it and the service engine soon light stayed on. Something about the sensor had something leak into it.That costs me $209.00[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] I tried to put it off until after income tax but then this ding ding ding noise came on constantly and I no longer had a working gas gauge, hot/cold gauge and no light indicator. He said he tried to find a new dash cluster through junkyards with no success as finding one close to my mileage so he worked on it yesterday and got it back to where it was after the $209.00 cost and added $82.00 more to it to say it was a fuse that had blown and he found a wire that had probably had blown it under the dash. The wire had touched metal and this resulted in the whole thing and I'm suppose to bring it back in next week sometime while he does some research on the internet to see how to repair it. Am I being taken? Since the seat belts and this light all happened at the same time, are they related? He says no.Are motorized seat belts covered under a lifetime warranty? I would appreciate any help or advice and thanks in advance.

derf 10-30-2006 01:32 AM

1) Upper mount should not cost $209. Ripping you off.
2) Probably a Code 26 (Quad driver output fault). He must not have liked this b/c he would have to THINK about how to fix it....

3) Code 26 -- Service Engine Soon (SES) was probably triggered by a bad passive restraint module (controls the seatbelts). Speedo signal goes to the passive restraint system so that the module controlling the seatbelts knows how fast the car is going. However, when the passive restraint module goes bad, it often mucks up the signal going to the speedometer such that the electronics for the speedo and odo can't decipher the signal.

He likely blew the IGN1 fuse while messing with your dash cluster (totally unneccesary) which would have taken out all the dash gauges, including the temp, fuel, speedo/odo; charging you $82 was probably the hour of labor he wasted trying to figure out what the f&*! he did that killed the entire dash cluster.

A) Take your vehicle away from this guy before he wrecks your dash cluster
B) Take your vehicle to someone who knows Saturns.
C) Probably needs only a passive restraint module to return everything to working order.

Please keep us posted.

Derf

undun 10-30-2006 03:07 PM

Thanks Derk for your help. I just called a Saturn dealer and the passive restraint module would cost me $319.00 plus whatever labor is. I can't afford to do that right now as I've just paid out almost $300.00 already. I wish I would have found this forum sooner and gotten your help. I wish I could get this guy to pay for it. I'm going to have to try and wait on getting it fixed as I don't have the money right now for all of this. I really appreciate all your help and especially confirming they were all related as I thought they were and letting me know I was getting ripped off. Thanks so much!

P.S. Is this something that a mechanic can get at a junkyard and be installed cheaper than going through a Saturn dealer?

Edited by: undun

onesmartscdt 10-30-2006 10:32 PM

Undun,

I think I like that giraffe thing, pretty creative.Not to be so inquisitive , but are you not mechanical at all and are you a woman. Don`t get me wrong if you are I have nothing against woman, in fact I love them.You can find anything in a junk yard.If you need a cluster or something of that nature and you have a sohc engine I have one if you need it.the ding ding noise is under your consol under your fan ac/heat controls.I do not have the control unit that is under your hand brake and quite possibly the worst place in the world for it.You need to get a hold of someone honest to help you.these are easy fixes for a true do it yourselfer. State each problem as in one two three and maybe I can help.I suck at typing but will try.

Good Luck

Darryl T

jeffroe18 10-31-2006 02:33 AM

it actually sounds something like what is going on with my car right now... which i have a post on it (01 sc2 electrical HELP) it actually sounds pretty much the same, but my car had a lot of diff codes on it... let me know what the results are for sure... might help me out.

undun 10-31-2006 08:22 PM

onesmartscdt,</span>

Yes, I am a woman and not mechanically inclined so I had to resort to finding information out on the internet to try and find out what is going on. I think Derf would know more than me if you've got the part I need but I don't really think so being as you don't have the part that's located under the hand brake or prndl section.</span><br style="font-weight: normal;"><br style="font-weight: normal;"></span>jeffroe18,</span><br style="font-weight: normal;"><br style="font-weight: normal;">If you think you're having the same sort of problem, after getting information from Derk, I investigated further and found this helpful and it might be helpful to you as well.</span>

</span> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...28/is_200209/a i_n9119546
</span></span>
</span>
</span>

onesmartscdt 10-31-2006 11:50 PM

undun,

Words spoke so welland at the site as well. The component is in the worst available spot. This is a pain yet junk yards are a mans best friend or in this case a very savy and intelligent woman. Hats off and you have resourceful way`s if you need a starter ac/pump full cradle assembly, power steering assembly fully intact, cv`s, struts, sunroof auto tranny I have all parts separated and pictures on alot of items.

sc2 parts door skin bumper side mirrors or similar items if you need them just say so.

Darryl T

derf 11-01-2006 12:14 AM

Undun --

Glad to be of assistance. I doubt you'll find a functional passive restraint module in a junkyard -- unless it is a new arrival to the yard. Can't hurt to look but don't get your hopes up and don't pay too much for one from a yard.

Maybe you could just buy the part and have a friend put it in. (?)
Call around to several Saturn dealers - $319 sounds awfully high just for the part......

Here are the directions from a 91-93 Saturn Chilton Manual (should be the same for a 94 but can't guarantee it) (Sw2cam -- any thoughts?)
____
To remove:
1) disconnect negative battery cable
2) remove the access panel above the Passive Restraint Control Module (PRCM) at the rear of the center console. Remove the four screws securing the center console.
3) Raise the parking brake to the fully engaged position.
4) Raise the rear of the console sufficiently access the PRCM
5) Gently depress the plastic tab on the rear of the PRCM while lifting upward. Remove the CPA (I think this stands for "connector positive assurance") device and remove the PRCM.

To install:

6) Install the PRCM under the console, then snap the rear of the bracket into the metal locking tabs.]
7) Install the wiring harness connectors and the CPA device.
8) Position the center console and install the retaining screws.
9) Install the center console access panel.
10) Connect the negative battery cable.

Hope this helps.

Onesmart: if you have goods to sell, post them in the classified section -- don't jack tech question threads with "I have all kinds of sh&amp;# to sell you that has nothing to do with your problem" Thanks.

Derf

undun 11-01-2006 08:48 PM

Hi again Derf,

I hope you know how much your help you've given is appreciated. I've been looking around online and found several sites I can order this from and the cheapest I've found so far is here
I might be able to afford this and then the only problem will be finding someone to put it in for me. That's still a lot better off than I was last week so I feel like I'm getting closer to getting my problem solved. Just wanted to ask if you think this is a good price and if you might know about how much one of these weighs to kind of determine extra shipping charges.

Thanks again,

Mona[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

derf 11-01-2006 10:10 PM

Price seems much more reasonable.

Get the Saturn Part # (from Saturn) and be sure that this place can match it up as the exact replacement. Also be sure they have a return policy that states UNOPENED electronics stuff can be returned.

Be sure to pull the old one first and match it with the replacment BEFORE opening the replacement.

Shouldn't weigh much of anything (shipping cost should be minimal).
_______
Alternative option to restore speedo/odo and use seat belts:

I think if you disconnect the speedo signal feed from the (bad) passive restraint module, your speedo may start working again since the passive restraint module won't be mucking the signal anymore.

As for functional seatbelts, I believe the cars with passive seatbelt systems shipped with a metal latch (one for each side) that you can mount in the track at the end closest to the back of the door. This allows you to manually connect and disconnect the shoulder belt. No more painful than a normal seatbelt experience.....

I think they were in the back of the glove box (I used to own a 92 SL2 many years back). I'm sure you could get them from Saturn Parts Dept...... cheaper and equally functional as far as safety goes.

Derf