General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Clean Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Post Clean Headlights

Might you have any tips to clean the headlights? They are really yellow and have cracks in them.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

let us know which headlight brightening kit works best....mine are a mess

how hard was it to get the headliner out? Where'd ya get the fabric?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 PM

My headlights are a whole lot better now than a few days ago. What I did was get 200 grit sandpaper and get all the major imperfections out then, proceeded wet sanding it with a 600 grit, if you want it to look better get some 1200 wet sandpaper and use it after the 600. It was really foggy, so i got some "Blue Magic" Headlight Lens Restorer and I applied that twice. It was still a little foggy so I use some cooking oil mixed with lemon juice. That work great. It improved the lenses by 85%.

With the headliner I went to a junk yard and got on that that way better than my original. All it took to remove it was to remove all the roof handles and the sun visors and the back brake light cover thats inside. You have to work it getting out but it comes out fine through the back doors.

The plan with my original is to replace the fabric and outline it with L.E.D.s for the interior lights.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 PM

I tried one of the 3M headlight kits. It worked pretty well, but I'm not 100% satisfied with the results. I doubt that anything is 100%. I may try the cooking oil and lemon juice. Is there a certain mixture that works best with this method, Hart010?

Old 12-02-2011, 07:48 PM

I used a 2 part oil and 1 part lemon juice, but I didn't think about the rain. I don't know why. So after it rained for three days straight the gleam was back to foggy. So right now I doing a trail and error sand and polish. I will report my findings.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Here is before and after.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hart010
Here is before and after.
Well its in my album if you can't see it here.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 AM

Ive used the meguiars headlight stuff on my car with the power ball, yielded great results, but no not perfect.

@ derf you can get the fabric at an auto store or ive even heard of jo-ann fabric and crafts store has a wide variety of headliner materials. I got a headliner fabric from pepboys, was a nice fabric but the glue i used was *** - so it fell down again...

Old 12-03-2011, 07:03 AM

I too have used the Meguiars power ball and on the whole I am satisfied. The problems to over come are letting it go too long so the plastic is beyond a point that buffing out the surface is going to do much of anything. At that point you might get some temporary satisfaction, but the damaged plasitic is just that, damaged. Another problem is power buffing. If you use a buffer, the speed is too high and you generate heat that will melt the plastic. Not good. That is why the power ball and like devices run off of a battery powered electric drill. Slow speed does not generate heat.
Remember to use masking tape if needed to mask off body or hood lines when buffing like this.
There are also a number of plastic polishes that regular applications can make things last longer.
The bottom line is still maintainence. If you wait too long, nothing is going to make them better other than termporarily. Sanding and buffing does work too as stated up to a point. The UV destroys plastic. And so does excessive heat generated while buffing.
As to roof liners, once you use the wrong glue to put something up with and if you are like me, a non-upholsterer, selecting the wrong glue is easy to do, the odds are you are dead in the water. I got lucky on one car, a non-saturn and used a glue that was not wrong and it worked. But ----- I had about a half a dozen friends with he same car that did use the wrong glue and they all said, don't do it. But no one believed them so they did it anyway. And the wrong glue seemed to be the right one to use. It wasn't.
I had mine done and I am good at a lot of things, but I will earn the money to pay some one to do the upholstery.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 PM

2006 Solstice: 1100 grit wet/dry then 3M liquid polishing compound. A good coat of wax and they look like brand new.

Last edited by sw2cam; 12-05-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Clean Headlights