General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

a/c orifice filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 PM

I need some help finding the location of the a/c orifice filter on a 94 saturn SL1. Does any one know where it is located and what it looks like?

Thanks,

Old 04-01-2007, 10:10 AM

I don't think Saturns uses the orifice filters that Ford uses. I'm pretty sure of this as I have my own set of FSM's for an L300. The normal filtering method, as opposed to Fords, is to incorporate this filter in theaccumulator/filter/drier, a cannister that iseitheron the firewall or near the condenser coil.As to the orifice filter its just a long fine mesh filter placed inline on the high-side hose in Fords. There's a picture of it and the horrors of DIY'ers attempting a/c repairs without prior knowledge of a/c basics and the equipment necessary to repair and maintain vehicle a/c systems at http://ackits.com. A good site for information for anyone contemplating a/c work.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:58 PM

I'm definately not an expert on the subject, but since the receiver/dryer is after the evaporator core, a filter in the receiver dryer wouldnt do anything to keep the oriface clean. Am I missing something?

Old 04-01-2007, 03:58 PM

You seem to be clinging to the belief that an orifice tube is part of a Saturn (GM) system when it does not exist at all. The GM equivalent filter is inside the receiver/accumulator/filter/drier assembly, a cannister. It is inline after the compressor and before the condenser on GM systems. Anyplace a filter is incorporated in any vehicle a/c system is for final filtering of any loose debris that may interfere with thecompressor valvesor clog thetubes of the evaporator core, condenser coils, hoses, and throttle expansion valve. Assuming you'rewriting about a/c systemson a Saturn site I am concluding that your general question requires a specific answer and to help illuminate your understanding of a very good question but not pertaining to Saturns and GMin general as an orifice tube is a component of Ford systems. Now, checking with ackits.net, I see that there is a production line addition of an inline filter that is a flattering complement to Ford being added to '03 GMmodels and up.I am guessing thatthis additional filter was incorporated due to recurring problems with a/c system repairs where more debris is circulating and possibly damaging the compressor. This is only a guess on my part as most GM systems work as designed as well as Ford systems. They just differ in where the parts are combined (GM) or separated (Ford).