General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

April Is National Car Care Month (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Default April Is National Car Care Month (USA)

April is National Car Care Month and I encourage everyone to take a walk around their vehicle and take a look at the common maintenance areas - many of which are quick, do-it-yourself (DIY) automotive maintenance items.

1. Tires: Check tire pressure, check treadwear, is it time for a rotation? Your correct tire pressures are listed right on the tires and on a sticker inside your driver door.

2. Bulbs: Check for any burnt-out bulbs - especially center/high brake lights (which seems to be an epidemic in the USA).

3. Fluids: Check all fluids under the hood. Most reservoirs have clear markings. Also check your oil change sticker to see if you're due.

4. Air Filters: Check your engine air filter and your cabin air filter. Replace if necessary. Yes - many vehicles have TWO filters which should be changed every 6-12 months depending on your driving habits and climate.

5. Windshield Wiper Blades: Inspect and replace your windshield wiper blades taking note that most should be replaced every 6-12 months.

Depending on your automotive maintenance skill level, there may be other things you should inspect/check/replace.

National Car Care Month serves as a reminder that vehicle maintenance leads to safer vehicles and safer roads as well as a more satisfying driving experience. Use this as a reminder to take a few minutes with your vehicle!

Jeff
President

Mr President: I left your post but removed your off site link, good luck.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by sw2cam; 04-22-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM

Wow this is great news, here I've been taking care of my car year around. Now I only have to do it one month out of the year. Thanks for the info Jeff your the President

Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

1. Does the rotation apply to me or my tires?
2. I was not aware high brake lights were an epidemic in the US
3. The oil change sticker tells me when I'm due or when the car's due?
4. My climate is temperate -- how does this play a role in changing my non-existent cabin filter?
5. So if I inspect them does that mean I have to replace them?

Also, since so much stuff should be changed at around 6 months, shouldn't October be car care month too?

Way too complex for me -- I'll just keep maintaining my car on a regular basis