General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

99 SL2 ABS engaging when braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:52 PM

Hello, I have a 99 SL2 with 124K miles. Last week the sound of the ABS engagingwhen braking and getting to 35 mph, and would stop when I got to under 20. I took it in to a GM non-Saturn dealership, they said the rotors were warped but pads were fine, rotors were replaced but the ABS clicking still occurs. The mechanic said it wasn't a safety issue, and there were no codes about the ABS when they ran the diagnostic. He suggested if it bugs me (which it does) I take it to Saturn to have it looked at, and said it could be the ABS computer which is a $500 repair. Anyone else have this issue or able to offer any assistance?

Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 PM

If you are interested in saving $$$ you may be able to find and possibly correct the problem yourself by simply examining the undercarriage for the sensors and wiring harness that may be broken, frayed, or missing components from the winter weather hazards. The ABS main unit in the engine compartment may be in perfect working condition as the exposed sensors at each drive wheel and rear left or right side sensor are more likely to bear the brunt of damage than the ABS unit that controls the actual hydraulic traction control system. There's acomment from a repair technicianexplaningabout ABS units brought in from the field. This authorizedrepair center technician has never found an ABS unit fail for any reason and pointed out that virtually every problem that caused an incorrectABS activation was due to a faulty sensor, wiring, or the toothed wheel mounted on the wheel hubs. For the time being removal of the main fuse supplying power to the ABS unit can be removed as it does not interfere with normal braking as designed. The engineering of ABS's allows full use of normal brakes, power assisted or not, without the ABS unit in operating condition and is perfectly safe this way. Leaving it in the condition that you have presently is just an annoyance and may leave you or anyone driving the car feeling that your brakes aren't working properly unless the ABS fuse is temporarily removed until repairs are done. The ABS is entirely transparent to the hydraulic brake system and can be driven without it with complete safety.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM

I agree w/Ducky and the simple fix for the ABS.I own a 2001 SC2 and started experiencing the same issue.It seems at times the ABS would go off for no reason.I have a buddy who is a mechanic and offered the same easy fix(remove the ABS fuse). It only takes a couple minutes to remove the fuse.After i removed the fuse.... I have't had any issues with the ABS.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:04 PM

Hi, thank you both for the responses. I found and removed the ABS fuse as advised and no more clicking when braking! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 01:39 PM

No problem-Glad to hear it worked for you!!!!!!!