General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

98 saturn sl2

Old 08-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Default 98 saturn sl2

By car idles about 1400 when first started. Seems to idle high until it warms up then it drops to 950-1000 is this normal. I've never had a car with a tach except trucks and they idled around 700. My car is a stick if it makes a difference. Let me know guys thanks.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:23 AM

Around 700 is generally considered normal. On some cars that is adjustable others no adjustment to it.
If I can adjust it and I have a mind to I personally like 450. My car and my preference.
Start when idle high and lower when warm is the norm.
You are describing a problem.
My first thought would be some form of a vacuum leak.
A problem with a carboned up throttle body can do this.
A defective temperature sensor, the little guy at the drivers side end of the cylinder head seems to be a major player in this came on that model Saturn.
It might help to have the error codes scanned to see if there are any.
I do an awful lot of my own work and to date have not needed to purchase a scan tool. But it is almost cost justifiable now. Each persons needs might be different.
I have never had fuel presussure problems with a car with a carburetor but enough of them with fuel injection I finally bought one of those. It paid for itself the first time I had need for it.
How does something like that pay for itself.
if you ask 10 people what is wrong and they give you 10 different guesses it gets expensive really quick changing 10 different parts after you bought them.
It helps to find out what is broke and not buying parts you don't need lets you afford to buy a tool you do.
Some autoparts stores will scan your computor for you, Autozone for one. It is an older computor now and new cheap scan tools will not scan it. But new affordable (not so cheap) tools will.
That is gonna depend on the autoparts store.
If you are gonna drive Old Saturns, a car no longer being made and the company out of business you had better get really good at figuring out how to fix it yourself.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Might be a good idea to check for vacuum leaks as Unc stated. Disconnect the throttle cable and see if you can feel it binding. If not cleaning the throttlebody is a good idea.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

dunno 1400 at start seems ok
manual should idle 800 to 850

try what those guys said

Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 AM

Since posting this I've done 3 vacuum line water sucking into the intake . First time smoked bad second smoked a lot 3rd time hardly a thing. I've checked ad replaced a few questionable vacuum hoses. So they are all good. My car generally when warm idles at 975 to1000 . Tonight I went out and did a piston soak with seafoam I could see the crud on the pistons. I let it sit for 3hrs I was told saturn did 2 hrs I blew the remaining g fluid out only cylinder 2 and 4 had anything other two were dry except for a little residue. Put it back together fired up immediately and smoke quite a bit. Once it warmed up the idle was at 875-900. I let it run awhile shut it off and went and fired it up an hour later still idled good. So I'm not sure what piston soaking and the idle have in common but I guess its good. It's used about 1/4 quart of oil in 500 miles or so. I think tomorrow morning ill topoff oil and monitor it . I know they all use oil but the thought of it makes me cringe. Overall car idles good And is smooth except for some exhaust rattle which i think its just hitting something underneath ( crosses my fingers that it isn't the cat)

Old 08-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

if it is a tinny rattle prob heat shield on top of cat

piston soak and idle generally unrelated. You did however remove and reconnect the plug wires.

clean throttle body

if that doesn't work, possibly ECTS sending wrong coolant temp info to PCM, then PCM running too rich (like having the choke partially engaged)

Search this Thread