General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

97 Saturn no start no turn over

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Recently I have has problems starting my Saturn. Last year we had all the plugs, wires, battery and alternator replaced, it had been running fin up until a few weeks ago . one day it just would not start, no clicking, buzzing or humming , total silence. After waiting a couple hours , it started right up. A week later the same thing. Then again, this time I could not get it started and had it towed to a shop. While it was at the shop for 4 days it started every time my machines started it , I would try it in the middle of the night and it would not start, a few hours later when the shop opened it would start just fine for the Mechanic. I had an old key and the alarm fob would not work , so i thought that was the problem. I took the car home and it worked fine for a week not using the alarm at all. However today it did it again. Turn the key, nothing, no sound just dead. The light and radio work, the cable are not corroded. What could this be? Could the starter be going out? the symptoms are weird, but I have no other idea. Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 AM

Check for corrosion on the positive battery cable.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:26 PM

</>Jada,

I'm having the same issue as you are. I am almost positive that it has something to do with the factory security system. The factory security system disables the starter when it's activated and can only be instantly de-activated by the keyless entry/alarm fob. My fob is only working intermittently so just like you I've had to inconviently wait (until my remote decided to work) in order to de-activate the system and be able to start my car. And since you've replaced almost your entire electrical system, and your cables are NOT corroded as you stated in your original post, my bet is that b/c your fob doesn't work, when the security system activates and disablesyour starter, you're forced to wait it out b/c you don't have your fob to instantly de-activate it. This may not be your issue but it sounds a lot likemy issue,and based on how mine has acted and what I've read in my owner's manual, the security system/fob sounds like the culprit. I'm currently trying to find a way to disable the security system w/o taking it to the dealership. Edited by: 98SC2DOHC

Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM

Still sounds like it can be corrosion INSIDE the positive battery cable. This causes the same exact problem described. A very common problem with Saturns. Especially this equipped with an AC Delco battery at the time of production in the late 90's and 01/02. And where AC Delcos were used as dealer replacements in the same time period.Edited by: Low Saturn

Old 05-23-2008, 02:25 PM

have you guys tried replacing the batteries in your key fobs?? i had an alarm on my old 96 grand am and it would have problems deactivating the alarm, i replaced the batteries and didnt have another problem with it...

Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 PM

my money would be on the starter. next time the car doesn't start. get a pry bar and hammer and tap the starter. if starts up you found your problem.