General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

96 1.9 16v DOHC

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Default 96 1.9 16v DOHC

hello all,
have a ladies car, its a 96 SL2, 1.9 DOHC that is very hard to start.
it came in for valve cover R&R and a starting issue.
#1 plug was fouled, 2 had excessive carbon 3&4 looked good.
we have replaced both coil packs, wires and plugs but the car still will only start once in a while. when the vehicle does start, it will idle fine for a few minutes then start surging from a high rpm to a rpm so low it almost stalls.
so far the work we have done is work the car needed but it still has not fixed the problem.
her scan port was mangled but we were able to hook our scan tool up 1 wire at a time so hopefully we got it right, it says the comp has no errors stored, and showing no codes. so to be honest im not sure if we got it hooked up exactly right or not.

after reading some threads, i remember the comp saying low coolant yesterday, i just topped off the coolant and forgot about it. i will be changing the ECTS this morning and will post what happens.

thanks in advance for any help or pointers.
Sam

Last edited by sam9787; 06-02-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: new info
Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 AM

When replacing the ETCS buy it from the dealer...and buy the wire connector at the same time no matter what the clown behind the Chevy counters says. High idle on a single cam many times is a leaking intake manifold gasket cyl no one.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM

ok my son is down at our shop swapping it out now. closest dealership is 60 miles away but it this fixes the problem ill order both parts from them and swap them out next week.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM

the ects seems to be a common issue with hard starting,stalling issues on these motors .i`ll bet it starts right up after replacement .

just so you know i fixed my neighbors saturn with those issues by replacing the ects .i bought a cheapie from autozone and its still going strong months later .

Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 PM

installed new ECTS this morning. car is running like a new one. when i mentioned it to our shop partner he said chevy trucks have this same issue and couldnt belive none of us thought about it.

thanks for the help
Sam

Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by john doe
the ects seems to be a common issue with hard starting,stalling issues on these motors .i`ll bet it starts right up after replacement .

just so you know i fixed my neighbors saturn with those issues by replacing the ects .i bought a cheapie from autozone and its still going strong months later .
Yes many people have bought the part at AdvanceCheckerNapaZone ...... and many more over the past 20 years have reported problems related to the inferior part. So your ONE out how many thousands?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Banned

Glad you're back on the road A-OK