General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

95 SC1 door switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Default 95 SC1 door switch

Hey Guys, I've got one for you. On the SC1, every time I have the door open for more than ten seconds, the key in/headlight on warning chime goes off. I looked at the switch in the door jamb and after removing the outer plastic ring and rubber cover, I couldn't figure out how the switch comes out. I lightly pulled on it with a pair of pliers and part of it came out. I can tell by looking inside the hole that it's got a clip on each side and one of mine is broken, but I'll be damned if I can get it out of the hole. Does anyone know if you have to remove the rear seat and inside trim panel to get this mother out? I spent 45 minutes with a pair of needle nose pliers and small screwdriver, but all I managed to do was push is further back in the hole. So before I destroyed anything else, I quit and put a piece of duct tape over the hole. Any help or suggestions??

Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Get one of these FLEXIBLE MAGNET's..... Thats if it's a metal clip and it'll fit out the hole.

Attached Thumbnails 95 SC1 door switch-mp14x.jpg  

Last edited by RjION; 10-17-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 PM

I wish it was metal, man, but it's a plastic plug with a couple of wires on the back of it. And even if it was metal, the damned hole isn't quite large enough to get the plug out. I may cut the hole just a wee bit larger and see if I can't get it out. It's really pissing me off that I can't maneuver it any direction and get it out. I'm going to physical therapy now for two damaged discs in my low back and can't fool with it anymore for a while. It just kills my back to get that low for more than a couple of minutes. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:25 PM

I figured out how that bastard switch comes out. You have to remove the back seat lower cushion, the plastic side panel and then there's an opening by the seat belt anchor that you can reach through and grab the switch. Once you do it, it's a pretty easy thing to do. Good thing I grabbed a couple of those switches last week. I messed one up pretty good learning how to do it. LOL

Old 10-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Back when the K car came out (1980?) I had a brand new Dodge. It had a speedometer a gas gauge and a red light which if it went on, it meant over heat or no oil pressure.
Or just expensive broke.
a few years later looking at a Chrysler convertable I saw the dash board was the same BUT it had a little display that showed the car with doors that opened. So I asked the salesman if there was a better dash and the answer was
NO
so I asked how much the door open display option was and the answer was $600.00.
So I asked why if I was so stupid I could not tell which door of a 2 door car was open and I needed to spend $600.00 on an option that showed me AND a voice recording that says:
A door is ajar!
Why couldn't I get something with a gauge that said the damned thing was running hot.
The salesman was not happy.
So I left.
The moral?
A lot of stuff on new cars is really hard to figure out how to fix them. And it really screws up the function of driving them anywhere.
Go figure.
Putting my Mercury Marine Engine in my 1975 Hornet station wagons is beginning to make more sense everyday.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:00 PM

I got around to replacing the switch today. It's actually a LOT easier if you remove the seat belt anchor too. That way you can get your whole hand in there instead of just two fingers. I also managed to replace the broken, rusted muffler holder. Once I got the band loose, it wasn't too bad. The support that goes through the rubber piece on the mount had actually rusted apart. The muffler and band are still in good shape. No more rattling exhaust when I start the car. Hooray!