General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

93 flooding

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Default 93 flooding

my daughters 1993 twin cam 4 door saturn is flooding so bad it fouls plugs when you crank it.The check engine light isn't on and theres no codes.It runs o.k. most the time but has some idleing problems,any ideas?thanks

Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM

my vote is fuel pressure regulator

Old 07-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

Unusual occurrance -- flooding without a code being set, but oh well --

I would personally replace the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS) and it's associated electrical connector. About $40usd in parts (the connector is OEM). The sensor is a multi-wire sensor, located on the driver's side of the engine, just below where the water hose for the radiator is located.

When you buy the new sensor, make sure it has the brass enclosed tip. Use Teflon tape on the threads to get a good seal, and work only on a cold engine - thus avoiding burns and scalds. Do not over-torque the sensor.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:47 PM

I don't know if I totally agree with OceanArcher but I could be wrong. I personally would try to disconnect the Sensor first to see if the fan turns on. On a lot of vehicles when you disconnect the sensor (open) it automatically triggers the electric fan on the radiator to turn on, to safe guard against overheating. The sensors are either good or they are bad. But on the other hand the PCM does change the fuel map acording to the temp of the engine. I would lean more towards the IAT which tells the pcm the temp of the incomming air. As the incomming air gets cooler the PCM adds more fuel. Cooler air = denser air which = more fuel in the mixture which = bigger boom in the cylinders.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

TW -- a great explaination, but slightly off-base ...

SATURN in it's infinite(?) wisdom, utilizes a sensor that decreases in resistance as the temperature builds - assuming that a shorted wire or device will cause the fan to run all the time. From the description of the problem, however, I suspect the exact opposite has occurred here, and either the sensor has gone open, or the wiring to it has failed (hence my suggestion to replace the connector at the same time).

Since the system thinks the engine is cold, cold, the PCM is adding more fuel than necessary, resulting in poor performance and fouled plugs.....

Old 07-23-2009, 06:17 PM

thanks for the info

Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

very common occurrence on S cars +1 ECTS and connector

Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
TW -- a great explaination, but slightly off-base ...

SATURN in it's infinite(?) wisdom, utilizes a sensor that decreases in resistance as the temperature builds - assuming that a shorted wire or device will cause the fan to run all the time. From the description of the problem, however, I suspect the exact opposite has occurred here, and either the sensor has gone open, or the wiring to it has failed (hence my suggestion to replace the connector at the same time).

Since the system thinks the engine is cold, cold, the PCM is adding more fuel than necessary, resulting in poor performance and fouled plugs.....
Ok I stand corrected. I was thinking that the engine is already cold. When the engine is in "Start" mode usually the fuel injected doesn't change from -260 degrees to +260 degrees the fuel curve. the "Fuelstartfuelfromcoolant" is linear.. but that is in a standalone or programming software. However the "fuelstartdecaytorun" does drop off as the temp increases. so if your starting with an engine that is kinda warm I can see where this could be a problem if the pcm doesn't know the engine is already warm.

Didn't mean to step on any toes. I am trying to relate My (dodge) non OBDII cars to a different make (saturn) Non OBDII.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

you need steel toed boots around here to last-----

We're all here to help each other; new points of view should always be considered--that's how we all learn something new....

no harm no foul

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

Twisted -- please, I meant no offense. Was kinda a rough day, and I let my alligator mouth overload my hummingbird a--

Sorry ........

Quick Reply: 93 flooding